Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a .22LR revolver

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Recommend me a .22LR revolver

I want a .22LR revolver as a survival/no-magazine gun. I want to be able to throw it in a pack and be able to hunt small game with it. Why do you ask? I am eventually going to be a bush pilot in AK and I also have 5k rounds of .22LR and no .22lr gun I want to shoot. Something that is pocket sized and able to take small game would be awesome. For more serious threats, I am thinking a throw away M44 or a mauser carbine if I can find one, but that is a different topic.

I have looked at the Taurus offering and was turned off by the reviews. I fingered a S&W 2" bbl .22lr and it didn't feel all that great for various reasons. Can someone give me direction or maybea specific model to look at? IIRC, the Model 60 is no longer made, but I would be open to other options as well.

tl;dr

Something 3-4" bbl
    cheap-ish ($200-$400)
    6-8 shot capacity
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you considered a Ruger offering? Affordable, rugged, and several options.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I always think of this picture when I think ruger...

But I am open to them. I hear the Ruger offerings are good in the revolver line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have one of these, it's a lot of fun:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=103043

I suspect for your purpose, one of these might be an even better match:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=103043

Something that is very handy about the Smith 43c, is that it makes a great training tool if you already have a J-frame BUG.

But that 317 would be a terrific backpacking pistol.

Feedback Score
    I'm holding out for a 3 inch Ruger LCRx in .22LR. The rep at Shot Show said it's coming out soon.

Feedback Score
    H&R 929 is a great 22 revolver.
    It is a all steel machined 9 shot revolver that is well made, affordable forgotten gem...
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory"
    Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    I have a 4" model 63, it's a J target frame, it's a 6 shot 4 inch, yet very light weight I saw one like it on Gunbroker for $400. The only downside is that the chambers need to be polished for reliable extraction.

Feedback Score
    Four or two inch barrel s&W 34 or 63. If you do not mind some extra weight the larger k frames (blue 17 stainless 617) tend to be very accurate. While I detest stainless and have never been in an environment where my blued guns had a rust issue, my niece lives in Alaska and I understand it can be hard on guns and stainless may be a wiser choice there.
    Look for used - you can not wear out a smith 22 revolver and it is going to be a hard use gun save some money and buy used

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I grew up on a stainless Ruger Single-Six with a 6.5 inch barrel that my dad has probably had since the early 80s. There is no telling how many tens or hell maybe hundreds of thousands of rounds I have shot through that pistol. It still runs like a top. I bought myself a stainless 5.5 barreled one a few years ago. Cool thing about the Single-Six is you can get the models with the magnum cylinder and use both calibers in one pistol.

Feedback Score
    I would look closely at a Ruger Bearcat today. Esp the new adj sight model due out.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast