Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a .22LR revolver

Feedback Score
    I would NOT be looking at new revolvers but used. If it were me old classics like the smith and Wesson 34,63&43 in j frames and 18 in k frames.
    You might also find old colts like the various snake guns or those built off the police positive official police or cobra frames, but these get crazy expensive.
    A shooter grade used smith imo ( from the 1970's or earlier) will be superior to anything made today.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Find a S&W 63 3". I did and it's great.

Or if you have the $$$ the older S&Ws are great as well - I had two but sold them off.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Find a Colt DiamondBack and it will outperform your 401K.

However, for your stated use, a lightweight Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5410.html
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you go down you might likely be injured, cold, hungry. Shooting a Handgun in this condition is hard. Plus, gloves are a problem as well. In Bear Country, get an 870. I like the older pre mim 870's with the 2.75" shorter receiver and then cut down the old lightweight non VR barrel to 18.5" or Form 1 to shorter. Don't need a mag ext., IMO. Just makes it clunkier and doesn't balance as well. If not too worried about Bears, then get an iteration of an M6 Scout. You can now have a .410 & a .22LR and you can shoot it all day long with gloves on & maybe even hurt. There's a lot of Ptarmigan & Hares out there. I used to land and go shoot quite a few to bring home and eat. The Airforce had it right with the M6. You could easy kill a Caribou with a .22 Hornet version as well. My In Laws and myself pretty much use .223/5.56 to hunt Caribou with in winter. My Father IN Law has killed inumerable Caribou using 55gr FMJ's because they were cheap. Now, they outlawed using FMJ in AK, but he was a Killing Machine with a Ruger Mini 14 w/ 55 FMJ's. Shoot 'em in the neck and they go down like they're struck by lightning. AR is about the best Caribou Gun there is while hunting off a Snow-Go. Stop and bang about 3-4 'Bou real quick, haha. Adj. Stock is great for when you have thick or thin clothing, or another Family Member of different stature wants to shoot your gun. I digress though.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I would NOT be looking at new revolvers but used. If it were me old classics like the smith and Wesson 34,63&43 in j frames and 18 in k frames.
    I'd be patient and keep my eyes open for a nice K-22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I will share what not to do.

For years I wanted the super-lightweight J-frame .22LR SW 317-2. I missed my chance 10 years ago and Smith discontinued. I had looked at everything on the market, including the SW 43c. Finally, last year I found a decently priced, well used 317-2 at a gun show. I snatched it up - noting it had a smooth but heavy trigger and locked up well.

The SW 317-2 is a huge POS! Internet reviews were very hit and miss on the 317-2s but since it was a carry and use Infrequently, I thought it was worth the risk. Dumb move - my 317 fit the internet consensus to a tee:
    - does not shoot to point of aim, even after trying seven different 22lr loadings
    - aluminum cylinder is horrid - sticky extraction in the best of times, but almost impossible to extract when warm (as in one cylinder worth of 22lr)
    - heavy trigger pull needed for the rim fire primer activation is so mismatched to asuper lightweight gun that accuracy is difficult
    - the aluminum finish Smith used is like the late 80s General Motors paint - fading, cracking and falling apart

While I do not have the Ruger LCR .22, I think that would be my choice based on limited exposure. I tried to stay with Smith because I have 25 years of Smith revolver experience vice the different trigger on the Ruger.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    While I do not have the Ruger LCR .22, I think that would be my choice based on limited exposure. I tried to stay with Smith because I have 25 years of Smith revolver experience vice the different trigger on the Ruger.
    If I was going to do a Ruger I'd get a Single Six with dual .22lr/.22mag cylinders.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I want a .22LR revolver as a survival/no-magazine gun. I want to be able to throw it in a pack and be able to hunt small game with it. Why do you ask? I am eventually going to be a bush pilot in AK and I also have 5k rounds of .22LR and no .22lr gun I want to shoot. Something that is pocket sized and able to take small game would be awesome. For more serious threats, I am thinking a throw away M44 or a mauser carbine if I can find one, but that is a different topic.

I have looked at the Taurus offering and was turned off by the reviews. I fingered a S&W 2" bbl .22lr and it didn't feel all that great for various reasons. Can someone give me direction or maybea specific model to look at? IIRC, the Model 60 is no longer made, but I would be open to other options as well.

tl;dr

Something 3-4" bbl
    cheap-ish ($200-$400)
    6-8 shot capacity
    Skip Taurus. My recommendations for cheapish would be a used Ruger Single 6.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would try to find a Hi Standard Sentinel MK 4, with changeable cylinders. 9 shot 22lr and another cylinder for 22 mag. Neat little camp gun.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/103115...sentinel-mk-iv

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn't be too inclined to carry a .22lr for your intentions, but a Ruger single ten is an incredible mid sized .22

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast