Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a .22LR revolver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In this price range I'd go ruger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh well. BTDT to some extent. .22 wheelguns are lots of fun, but the best utility .22 handgun I have is an old original type Ruger Standard, fixed sights, 4 3/4" barrel. Bought it used for $60, so you can guess what it looked like. Replaced all the springs, did a trigger job, and cleaned most of the pits and dings up, sandblasted it, and threw it in a bluing tank. Still ugly, right up to when you shoot it. It's NOT for sale.

I wouldn't laugh at a .22 rifle, even a kid's single shot. Still pretty handy, a lot easier to hit with. Savage 24 combination guns are hard to find now, probably because they're good poaching guns--which a lot like a survival gun should be...mine is an old 24C "Camper Special", a .22 lower and a 20 ga. upper--and a .30-30 liner to go in the shotgun barrel. I sort of figure a 20 ga slug is not too far short of a .45-70. I think Savage is back to making combination guns these days.

An 870 is never a mistake, either. Hell, I've got an old hacked up .303 Lee Enfield that I'd be happy to have out in the bush if it came to that.

And I'd trade them all for a signal mirror so I could get my sorry butt out of the bush and go home.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 05-07-16 at 13:59.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    I would try to find a Hi Standard Sentinel MK 4, with changeable cylinders. 9 shot 22lr and another cylinder for 22 mag. Neat little camp gun.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/103115...sentinel-mk-iv
    I found 1 exactly like this in the box at a pawn shop for $200 OTD. Gave it to my son for Christmas last year. He loves it.
    Not too hard to find at a good price...keep looking.

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt Frontier Scout, well used now but new when Mom bought it for Dad on MY recommendation. Moving to modern time I do have a Ruger LCR 22 LR, 8 shooter, pretty good but double action only, smooth, but double. For a lot of money Ruger has the GP-100 in 22 LR, best one for what the OP wants, new, except for price.

Feedback Score
    I have a 4" S&W Model 63. No problems with extractions. I have rather large hands so I use Pachmayr Gripper grips on mine. The pistol is very light and handy.

Dan

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    I lived in Alaska for over a decade. If you are really going to be a bush pilot your concerns with being stranded include both acquiring food and not becoming food (bear protection). You also don't want weight and bulk in your plane.

When camping I always carried a 44 mag pistol. It was as much as I could handle and still shoot well in a bear gun (and have on my person all the time). I have shot heads off of ptarmagain with it for camp meat.

The best answer for bear protection is a rifle or a shotgun with slugs and buck. That shotgun will also kill birds and hares with ease.

Best survival gun in Alaska is a shotgun. What would you shoot with the 22? Spruce hens, Ruffs, willow ptarmagain, and maybe a hare or a beaver. All could be done more reliably with a takedown shotgun and you'd have bear protection in the same package.

If you want a 22, I get it. Tons of fun and useful too. But not a bush pilot's gun.
    I agree an 870 with a few boxes of slugs and a box of birdshot would be my choice. I love .22's. If looking for a revolver I'd go with a Ruger with .22 & .22 mag cylinders.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Never found one I liked.

Heavy DA triggers on every one I ever shot. Lighter springs? Sure, that helped, and caused light strike misfires, too.

Can't help ya.

I do hear .38 can be reloaded for $5 per 50...the same price as .22 LR.

Feedback Score
    Ruger Single Six. Look no further.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    I lived in Alaska for over a decade. If you are really going to be a bush pilot your concerns with being stranded include both acquiring food and not becoming food (bear protection). You also don't want weight and bulk in your plane.

When camping I always carried a 44 mag pistol. It was as much as I could handle and still shoot well in a bear gun (and have on my person all the time). I have shot heads off of ptarmagain with it for camp meat.

The best answer for bear protection is a rifle or a shotgun with slugs and buck. That shotgun will also kill birds and hares with ease.

Best survival gun in Alaska is a shotgun. What would you shoot with the 22? Spruce hens, Ruffs, willow ptarmagain, and maybe a hare or a beaver. All could be done more reliably with a takedown shotgun and you'd have bear protection in the same package.

If you want a 22, I get it. Tons of fun and useful too. But not a bush pilot's gun.
    This is excellent advice. I am a pilot, but not a Bush pilot, so my 9MM CZ-75D PCR is my regular carry gun, in or out of the plane. I have been to Alaska several times to backpack, camp, site see, etc. I carried a 12 gauge shotgun. It is the most versatile firearm for Alaska, especially in a survival situation. Yes, I had a .45 Colt pistol also, but that was just a back up. Get a shotgun.

Be more worried about flying in the weather there, than anything else. It will KILL you if you make poor decisions. Technology has helped a lot in recent years. USE IT. Especially real time NEXRAD overlays with your moving map GPS. Garmin is your friend.
    Last edited by Pilot1; 09-19-16 at 06:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    If it were me old classics like the smith and Wesson 34,63&43 in j frames and 18 in k frames.
    Same here! Much smoother action than anything else out there. That said I once had a Rossi SS version of a 3" kit gun and yes, I had to perform an action job on it (I was trained on S&W revolvers) but it turned out amazing ... more so as it only cost me $150 to buy! It may not replace a Smith, but could be a suitable arm until you find what you like or really want.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast