Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Recommend me a .22LR revolver

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    And with GOOD reason ... SS, round butt frame, 8-shot capacity ... and a real S&W! If I were looking for a "kit gun" today, I'd look at that model seriously.

Feedback Score
    I've got an old H&R .22 9 shot top break revolver that has worked well for me over the years. My dad got it used in the late 70s. I use it mostly for shooting blanks while dog training (make sure they don't pop off a bite with gun fire).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    I lived in Alaska for over a decade. If you are really going to be a bush pilot your concerns with being stranded include both acquiring food and not becoming food (bear protection). You also don't want weight and bulk in your plane.

When camping I always carried a 44 mag pistol. It was as much as I could handle and still shoot well in a bear gun (and have on my person all the time). I have shot heads off of ptarmagain with it for camp meat.

The best answer for bear protection is a rifle or a shotgun with slugs and buck. That shotgun will also kill birds and hares with ease.

Best survival gun in Alaska is a shotgun. What would you shoot with the 22? Spruce hens, Ruffs, willow ptarmagain, and maybe a hare or a beaver. All could be done more reliably with a takedown shotgun and you'd have bear protection in the same package.

If you want a 22, I get it. Tons of fun and useful too. But not a bush pilot's gun.
    ^^^^^^This. A .22 may be OK for the lower 48 for the most part, although my minimum for carry in my plane is a 9MM (with .22 conversion kit). You NEED a 12 gauge shotgun in AK with both slugs and shot. Weight will ALWAYS be a consideration, as you will be operating at, near or over gross weight probably all the time.

Yep, get a .22 for fun. If you must have a revolver, an S&W 617 or Ruger Single Six are great, as are many of the others mentioned.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Just an update. I got a Taurus 8 shot .22LR from a family member that didn't want it (score) for the price of nothing. It has satisfied my urge for a 22 revolver. That being said, I don't carry while I work up there so it is a moot point. If I ever get my own plane, the overhead supports will do dual use as an 870 SBR carrier. Thanks for all the suggestions and whatnot over the years. I had forgotten about this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Yes, an older thread but I felt the need to comment. As a couple of poster have mentioned, go bigger than the .22. I am also a pilot, own airplanes, have hunted in several places on this planet and while a .22 has it's uses, it would basically be a camp gun in Alaska. The afore mentioned 12 ga. is one of the best options with the ability to have bird shot and slugs in the same gun.

You might want to research your idea of mounting a gun on the overhead structure before doing so. Anything over your head in a crash is a potential hazard. There are several threads on both Backcountrypilot.org and on Supercubs.org about this very subject as there are several 'REAL' bush pilots that occasionally post along with others that have actual experience and that can give good advice. Good luck on fulfilling your dream! It was my dream also until I was badly hurt in an accident. No more commercial flying for me, but I still fly my 'min-bushplane' for personal use.IMG_20150826_180647869.jpg

Feedback Score
    I agree that a Shotgun fills the need best. Mossberg makes the "Shockwave" and Remington a 870 version, now for a shorter, more compact, easier to stow, shotgun. I know the OP has a Taurus 22, congrats on a nice gun. Now Ruger makes the LCRX in a 3" barrel, 8 shot 22LR, with a hammer.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345