Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer 75gr Gold Dot .223 ? who else has seen this ?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    75gr stuff is readily available. Any testing/game harvested/etc.?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    75gr stuff is readily available. Any testing/game harvested/etc.?
    where is it readily available?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fz1boxer View Post
    where is it readily available?
    Internet. I have not seen any in brick and mortar stores, yes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will buy 100rd for anyone willing to do a gelatin and accuracy test and share the results, if they include expansion testing at low velocity (<2000fps, or ~200yd 10.5-12.5" impact velocity).

http://www.bonefroggunclub.com/produ...e-24475-100rds

Feedback Score

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I fired several rounds today. Function was good, and recoil impulse was more of a "shove". Hard to explain, but it felt like I was moving more than M193 down the barrel, but not snappy.

I fired 2 rounds into milk jugs full of water, at 15m distance, from a 16.1" DDM4 with a Surefire 556-212 suppressor in place. Both rounds performed identically, penetrating 3 jugs fully, and bouncing off of the far inside wall of the 4th jug trying to get out, but not quite making it. In both shots, the first 2 jugs were gnarled up very badly, but unlike the RA556B and TSX rounds I tested, the jugs in both shots did not "fly off" 5-10 feet to the side. They stayed almost perfectly in place, even though they were all but turned inside out and blown open. I don't know if this is meaningful, or not, but it's an observation.

Bullet #1 measures 0.557" at the widest point, and 0.365" at the narrowest point (a juncture between petals), for an average diameter of .461". It is 0.378" high from the front of the mushroom, to the base of the bullet shank, although petals have folded beyond the base of the shank.
    Bullet #2 measures 0.5415" at the widest point, and 0.355" at the narrowest point (a juncture between petals), for an average diameter of 0.448". It is 0.379" high from the front of the mushroom, to the base of the bullet shank, although petals have folded beyond the base of the shank.

In comparison to RA556B, RA556B penetrated identically in this test, and digging through my notes when I tested it:
    "Terminal performance" was tested using milk jugs full of water, shot at 15 yards.[span style='text-decoration: line-through;'] Both bullets[/span] "exploded" the first 2 jugs in line, and they were both recovered in the 4th jug.[span style='text-decoration: line-through;'] The Barnes, however, split the 3rd jug slightly inside the handle area, and managed to puncture the 5th jug. I believe it may have exited the 4th, compromised the 5th, and "bounced back into" the 4th jug. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.[/span] The RA556B simply dented the living hell out of the 4th jug's opposing side, and maybe have made it spring a tiny leak there.
    The recovered RA556B bullet had a largest and smallest diameter of 0.454" and 0.420", respectively, for an average diameter of 0.437". Its recovered length was 0.40".
    I am sending some Gold Dot to be evaluated at low impact velocities in gel, chronographed, and shot into hogs and deer. For now, I have to say that I favor the RA556B somewhat, although if the velocity on the Gold Dot is better than I think it is (I bet it's dog slow, personally), then it might be a real performer at distance, judging by how "soft" the Gold Dots are, and the prolific boat-tail and small frontal area.

The Gold Dot has a sealed and staked primer, and no neck sealant.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the report. Everything looks good so far, I wouldnt worry too much about velocity since it seems pushing gold dots any faster won't really get you much of an increase in terminal performance, those bullets look fully expanded already and adding velocity might start to shear the petals. I would care more about neck length, penetration and retained weight.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cool pics and stuff. I'd love to get a few hundred of the bullets to play with in SBRs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing, good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    SGAmmo has this stuff in stock.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast