Thread: Cryo treatment results?

Feedback Score

Cryo treatment results?

Lots of back and forth claims about it. Even some manuf claim it works like JP while Lilja and other makers say there's almost no effect.

Has anyone done any solid A/B testing to show the truth for common Steel used in AR barrels?
    Last edited by FlyPenFly; 02-27-15 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reply to OLDER post ...

I had a pencil-thin Romanian PSL capable of MOA accuracy that would start to string the groups once the barrel became hot. Last year I sent it out direct (they have FFL) to NitroFreeze for cryo processing at -300 degrees for an hour. Cost $60 plus shipping and I got it back within a week along w/ a copy of the temp cycle profile.

It worked! Superbly at that!

For the 1st range test post-treatment I loaded four 10-rnd mags and hammered them down range as fast As I could re-acquire a good sight picture ... the 40-shots stayed in one centered group! Let's just say ... I'm sold on it!

And for sure I have WASTED much more $$ for indeed LESS results! Women included ...
    Last edited by Lefty223; 10-14-15 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ONE of the reasons I bought a LMT carbine many years ago, was that they cryo all their barrels. Apparently LMT thinks enough of it to do it to all their rifles...or they did at one time, anyway. Ive looked at a lot of research on the subject, even talked to the guy at -300 BELOW before. Im convinced it has some form of benefit..if nothing else a slightly longer lasting barrel, and to help minimize or eliminate stringing.
    But..it would take a lot more testing to prove one way or another.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    Lots of back and forth claims about it. Even some manuf claim it works like JP while Lilja and other makers say there's almost no effect.

Has anyone done any solid A/B testing to show the truth for common Steel used in AR barrels?
    A study on the subject, but not really a scientific one...

The question is, are you good enough a shot to see the difference.
    Last edited by lysander; 10-14-15 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's pretty cheap, I mean, the cost of several PMAG's, and I hear it works from some people, so now the question is...does it hurt? and Well, why not, just do it?

Feedback Score
    We are doing Cryo process on our bolt bodies... I don't know what a good test would be to indicate a "Good" vs "Not as Good" for a comparative result.

I know it does good things for those stressing axles in motor sports.

Ryan
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

FaxonNathan Guest
    We'd say the key is for something to be Stress Relieved and from a practical standpoint it does not matter if something was cryo or heat-based. The key is to reset the grain structure of the metal to ensure that as it heats up from firing the hoop stress does not cause the barrel to move.

The earlier PSL statement we would have immediately called out the barrel not being stress relieved.