Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My son's first deer rifle

Feedback Score
    you might look at the Burris 2X7 they are in your price range.

I use one on my 7mm-08 and I'm good 25yds to 300yds ....

compact and lite weight, :-)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    In my son's rifle the Hornady 95gr SST's shot best. He's put down multiple deer with that round. As said before try a couple of different rounds and see what shoots best

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My cousin used to have a 243 and used Hornady 95gr and had great results with coyote and pigs. Does it produce a significant wound channel on deer in case much of a tracking job is needed? I'm not concerned about meat damage a heart/lung shot placement is just going to go through the ribcage. There isn't enough meat there to be worried about in my opinion. I've taken a couple of my relatives kids hunting in the past and in the heat of the moment the shot doesn't always end up where intended due to nerves and excitement. Then it's on to the blood trail. I've been mostly a bow hunter and shotgun, so a lot of these rifle rounds for deer are new to me. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-05-15 at 10:08.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I started out with a fixed 4x Tasco on my Rem 788, then I moved up to a Bushnell 3-9x40. For my kids, I have set up the Rifle with Tally rings and bases with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 illuminated fire dot with a German #4 reticle.

Dont skimp on the rings and bases, they are as important as the scope and rifle itself.

I have purchased some Hornady Custom Lite 87 grain .243 reduced recoil for my kids to start on and 95 grain federal fusion bonded for them to hunt with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    I started out with a fixed 4x Tasco on my Rem 788, then I moved up to a Bushnell 3-9x40. For my kids, I have set up the Rifle with Tally rings and bases with a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 illuminated fire dot with a German #4 reticle.

Dont skimp on the rings and bases, they are as important as the scope and rifle itself.

I have purchased some Hornady Custom Lite 87 grain .243 reduced recoil for my kids to start on and 95 grain federal fusion bonded for them to hunt with.
    Yes, I agree I'm thinking of going with Leupold bases and rings. I'm guessing I should use a set of low rings on this rifle?

I do need to look into some target practice rounds also as they are cheaper than hunting bullets usually.

Feedback Score
    Love that custom Savage 99.

Mine is a 1964 Featherweight in 243. I cut and re-crowned the barrel down to 18" and put a Leupy 2x7 on it. Makes a nice close range coyote gun!

the Savage 99 is one accurate lever action.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    My cousin used to have a 243 and used Hornady 95gr and had great results with coyote and pigs. Does it produce a significant wound channel on deer in case much of a tracking job is needed? I'm not concerned about meat damage a heart/lung shot placement is just going to go through the ribcage. There isn't enough meat there to be worried about in my opinion. I've taken a couple of my relatives kids hunting in the past and in the heat of the moment the shot doesn't always end up where intended due to nerves and excitement. Then it's on to the blood trail. I've been mostly a bow hunter and shotgun, so a lot of these rifle rounds for deer are new to me. Thanks again for the help.
    For the most part we haven't had many exit wounds. We usually shoot our deer right at the top of the shoulder. They drop in their tracks and don't budge. The few that my son has shot through the lungs haven't gone too far either. Earlier this year we tracked a doe about 100 yards at night and had a very easy blood trail to follow. Lots of blood drops and then foamy puddles where she was coughing up blood. I'm surprised she went as far as she did.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    For the most part we haven't had many exit wounds. We usually shoot our deer right at the top of the shoulder. They drop in their tracks and don't budge. The few that my son has shot through the lungs haven't gone too far either. Earlier this year we tracked a doe about 100 yards at night and had a very easy blood trail to follow. Lots of blood drops and then foamy puddles where she was coughing up blood. I'm surprised she went as far as she did.
    Good deal, that's reassuring. As far as the shoulder shot placement I'll have to get out of my bowhunting mindset for that, I've always chose a broadside lung shot as it provides a larger target.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm the same way when bowhunting myself Right behind the should lower third of the body. Up until about 5 years ago I was that way when rifle hunting. Then i read about how deer would drop in their tracks with a shot placed right at the top of the shoulder. Also saw video and I was hooked. So If I'm about 150 yards and in that is where I place my shot. Works every time

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I'm the same way when bowhunting myself Right behind the should lower third of the body. Up until about 5 years ago I was that way when rifle hunting. Then i read about how deer would drop in their tracks with a shot placed right at the top of the shoulder. Also saw video and I was hooked. So If I'm about 150 yards and in that is where I place my shot. Works every time
    While on the subject of shot placement, I really like a quartering away shot aiming for the opposite front shoulder. With a "quartering to" shot (which for bowhunting I will not take) sounds like the .243 is a go to take that shot. I'll be coaching side by side, I don't plan on him taking a shot on a deer more than 100-150 yards, closer the better.

Sounds like you have certainly been down this road and I appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by MBtech; 03-05-15 at 15:15.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast