Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the AR10 Super SASS and M1A in a Sage stock

Feedback Score

Thoughts on the AR10 Super SASS and M1A in a Sage stock

I'd like to get a semi-auto .308 rifle. Looking for something fairly accurate out to 800 yards like a DMR type rifle. I've been thinking a lot about the Super SASS because it has been used in Afghanistan by the Canadians, and it can be purchased part by part. The M1A I've thought about too since it can be modified to be like EBR MK14, but I'm not sure about the ruggedness of an M1A, they probably wouldn't be as accurate as an AR10 but would be cheaper. I'm just curious about peoples thoughts these two firearms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm sure you're going to get a lot of opinions and thoughts, as there are lots of people who have contemplated a semi .308, be it for precision or otherwise.
    I have never owned an M1A, so can't speak much to that. It seems that the AR-ish platforms are easier to mount optics on, and a bit lighter.
    Don't pick a rifle just because it was used by a military, although the Armalite AR-10 is an OK rifle. I like them enough that I have an Armalite AR-10A myself.
    The AR-10A series works with PMags. The new ones come with a slim freefloat Keymod rail, so you don't have to turn to the aftermarket.
    But there are plenty of other options out there. Right now is a great time to be in the .308 AR market.
    LMT, KAC,Sig, PWS, Colt, HK, Armalite, S&W, Ruger, Wilson Combat, Nemo, Aero Precision, PSA and DPMS all make .308 AR's, and more have announced they will be joining the party (most notably Daniel Defense).
    Last edited by Benito; 02-28-15 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well....there are a LOT of in the know, switched on guys here that are fountains of knowledge. Hopefully they stop by.

Myself as a regular guy, who wasted a lot of money and time over the years....

Stay AWAY from anything M1A. I had a Sage chassis and an M1A. At first it seemed grand. Then I realized how obdurate cleaning was and I occasionally had zero shift. I had a GI barrel and it was SO bulky. Eventually, I sold the EBR chassis. And saved up and went all in on an SR-25.

If you were an 80s kid, you may recall the old nintendo commercial "Now you're playing with power". That's what it feels like. Especially the ECC. It's like cheating. I forsook a lot to get one and it does quite a bit. Pmags are plentiful as well as a few other aftermarket mags but you need at least 4 factory magazines. If you are dead serious about shooting it is the best you can do.

HK...eh...seems like a step backward. DPMS/Armalite/Colt...
    Eh still DI guns but not quite as refined. If you simply can't save or sacrifice for a Knight's...they should work. A bud has a Sig 716 and I liked it. Does well. He hunts with it. But it simply isn't an SR-25

LMT is close but KAC is just the only option now for me. I'm trying to get another carbine but not since the Glock 17 has a gun felt so right in my hands. No crude FAL sights, no HK drum three handed screwdriver zeroing, no lock stock barrel musketry of the m14.

Easily mounted optics, comfortable, ambi, and I am really into this rifle. I don't regret having owned (and still owning in some case) some of these previous rifles. But here, now. I can't imagine anything else. Maybe I ramble but I am fully an SR25 believer. Honestly worth every last cent.
    Last edited by Firefly; 03-01-15 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    I am one of the low-speed/high drag types...

I have had an AR-10t for about ten years. Except for one issue (failing to eject after ~1500 rounds) that was fixed by Armalite at no cost in under a week, it has been trouble free.

The only problem is that it is ridiculously heavy and there's no way to fit a suppressor. To overcome or at least partially address them, I am looking at getting a SASS upper.

I can't say what is best but I am going with the Armalite SASS.

Feedback Score
    The super SASS seems like the best all around option. KAC is just going to be too pricey for me. LMT has a 16 in barrel which just seems kind of weird to me, I'm surprised they didn't give it at least an 18 inch barrel. I haven't heard great things about the M1A so I think I'll cross that off. Thanks for the respones so far.

Feedback Score
    I built one of an AR10A receiver set and BCG, Noveske barrel and Geissele trigger. Its right around 8lbs with no glass. 16"ff barrel and MI modular tube/rail.

I know its DPMS, but I like their G2 concept.

IMHO the AR platform is less dated, more sleak, lighter, more ergonomic, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the M1As. Those factors drove my decision when it came time for the build.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    The M1A is a cool battle rifle. I own one, and it's fun to shoot. But If you want accuracy, steer away.
    http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/th...he-m14-legend/

The AR10 is a much better platform, and Armalite makes an excellent rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    I built one of an AR10A receiver set and BCG, Noveske barrel and Geissele trigger. Its right around 8lbs with no glass. 16"ff barrel and MI modular tube/rail.

I know its DPMS, but I like their G2 concept.

IMHO the AR platform is less dated, more sleak, lighter, more ergonomic, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the M1As. Those factors drove my decision when it came time for the build.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...
    My AR-10A is pretty similar in concept, except of course for the Noveske barrel. If I could have found one, I would have gotten it, so I just stuck with the light profile 16" chrome-lined barrel from the factory. Relatively lightweight and compact .308 semi. Of course, once you add an optic (mine only weight 19 oz), a mount, a loaded mag of .308/7.62x51, even a lightweight begins to feel not-so-light.
    Imagine how much heavier the end result that would be if you started off with something heavier.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chairforce26 View Post
    I'd like to get a semi-auto .308 rifle. Looking for something fairly accurate out to 800 yards like a DMR type rifle.
    I've owned two M1A's and no longer own any. They are a cool rifle for slow fire iron sight shooting. It is difficult (or worse) to make one highly accurate and keep it that way. Although there are decent scope mounts available, it was never designed to be scoped and isn't anywhere near as scope-friendly as any flattop AR style. In terms of ruggedness it really depends how close to GI your M1A might be - with all top quality parts (GI surplus or equivalent) they should be durable, but a SAI rifle has mostly SAI parts that may not be as durable.

With a budget over $2k I would say LMT MWS as my personal pick. It's also a pick of the UK and NZ military. I have no experience with KAC but I assume they're great as well. With a lower budget I'd be looking seriously at the DPMS Gen2 .308 rifles, which have a wide range of improvements over their prior generation, and are still quite affordable. A quality .308 AR can be accurate out of the box and stay accurate until the barrel needs replacing.

Feedback Score
    I love my Armscorp/GI M-14 dearly, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for a practical .308. I've never had accuracy or zero shift problems with the irons, but it weighs half a ton and it's really not practical to put optics or a suppressor on and would weigh a full ton if you did. Not to mention M1As are most of what you see and they've had some serious quality issues for years now. Depending on how accurate you want to be you can get some decent AR types for less than an M1A - Palmetto State Armory has M&P 10s in stock right now for $1125, and building your own from their parts is a couple of hundred bucks less than that. Obviously the more accuracy you want the more you'll have to spend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast