Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Feedback Score
    Dang... Never thought of using a pencil sharpener. Good idea. I'm going to have to start carrying one of those in the camping bag.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadeddog View Post
    I have lately been carrying a pencil sharpener. Partly because its usefull and partly because it was all "cheating daddy" when I pulled it out and showed the kids how fast I could make shavings(after they had been slaving away for 10min with a mora).

Just to clarify I use it on pencil sized twigs. I have been looking for one of those pencil sharpeners for those huge novelty pencils though because I think it might be more useful.
    here ya go.... https://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Cucum.../dp/B00JR40ZX2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    flexcuffs....never know when you need them as heavy duty zip ties.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Haven't checked this thread in a while. That is awesome. I will be buying one next time I make and amazon order.

Also I never thought about it as odd until yesterday when I was mentioning it to a someone but I keep several of those elastic wrist braces (just a long piece of elastic about 3" wide with Velcro on the ends) in my kit. They are in the kit to help compress stuff like my down puffer jacket, and hold together pieces of kit like tins of stuff. When I get where I am going I use them for everything from cozies for my stainless steel water bottle to holding wooden sticks together for taller tarp poles. I originally kept them because I have issues with my knees, and if I walk on rocky terrain for more than a few miles I appreciate one wrapped under my knee. Over the years they have been used for rolled ankles(my wifes and mine) and they would be very useful for a splint if it came to it. I would guess that I have 3-6 in my kit at all times.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeaux82 View Post
    While not that unusual, here are a couple very useful things that I carry

JB Weld - I can fix nearly anything with it

Large rat trap - best thing made for catching squirrels

Cyalume sticks - need light for more than just a little while?

small tea candles - much easier to make a fire once lit

double yes on the yo-yo's

The rat trap is excellent. No kidding, never even gave that a thought. And, works both ways, dinner, or varmint control.

Feedback Score
    Cheap solar light.
    FYI metal rat traps have teeth I have 4 great for tree rats and can use as alarm.
    Last edited by blade_68; 07-02-17 at 09:05. Reason: Damn spell check
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    I have a little fire kit and I love bringing fatwood. I have a fire piston that I'm still trying to figure out

Feedback Score
    A Hershey Bar. Will get you thru roadblocks, across borders, and out of jail.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftdave View Post
    I have a little fire kit and I love bringing fatwood. I have a fire piston that I'm still trying to figure out
    Did you make the piston or buy it? I have seen them on eBay, and have been thinking about trying one out. They do look interesting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Small bottle of potassium permanganate.

Firestarter, disinfectant, water purifier, and it will flat out kill jungle rot on your feet.
    Wisdom. But where to buy...?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast