Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I keep one of the County Comm micro grapple hooks in my "travel/go" bag
    Attachment 32061

For the potassium permanganate, is also gets interesting when mixed with glycerin IIRC
    School me on that hook. Looks very interesting...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The hook is made of stainless steel, has three prongs which screw out and are stored withing the body of the hook. The back (where you would tie your cordage) unscrews and this is where you put the tines. It has a decent heft to it. I find it effective to use with paracord for straining up backpacks, food etc. in the woods. There is a larger model as well, but I wanted "micro".
    image.jpg

It also appears that they now have an even smaller version, a 'pico'
    image.jpg

I acquired them from county countycomm.com

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions and I will remedy.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can find various quantities of potassium permanganate on Amazon up to 2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yeah, a long time ago I used to spend a lot of time in jungle environments. Some nice fellow with a British accent explained how they carried it in their kit, and following him around made me a believer.

It is getting harder to find now. You used to be able to pick it up from most swimming pool supply stores. I ordered the last container from a place on eBay.

When wandering about the landscape, I always try to carry at least three methods of starting fires, preferably four. This one is handy as also serves medicinal purposes. A sterilizer/disinfectant has proved to be very useful to me in the past. The darker the color, the more bugs it kills. Just a few crystals dropped into a canteen will kill most of the critters in it. A very light pink color will disinfect a wound.

ETA: And be careful with the stuff around brake fluid. Search YouTube for more info on that.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    The hook is made of stainless steel, has three prongs which screw out and are stored withing the body of the hook. The back (where you would tie your cordage) unscrews and this is where you put the tines. It has a decent heft to it. I find it effective to use with paracord for straining up backpacks, food etc. in the woods. There is a larger model as well, but I wanted "micro".
    image.jpg

It also appears that they now have an even smaller version, a 'pico'
    image.jpg

I acquired them from county countycomm.com

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions and I will remedy.
    I really like anything that can't be fabricated, or is difficult fabricate in the woods, that can serve multiple purposes and still be lightweight.

That pico looks pretty damned cool.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think the pico might actually be too small to be useful. I wish the tines on the micro were a tad longer.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    County Comm has lots of unusual but useful stuff that would go nicely in this thread. Don't know how unusual it is...but I have their small shortwave radio with extra antennae. This little beast is awesome, and has an alarm and small LED light too. Worth every penny.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a small lockpick kit in my BOB. I figure if the S really hits the F, it could come in handy to procure propane from those locked outdoor cabinets or perhaps gain entry into an abandoned house to use as a temporary domicile without destroying the door. Most household locks can be raked open or picked within a minute and the Masterlocks that they use to secure those propane tanks are a joke - 20-30 seconds tops. Plus, it beats carrying around a giant prybar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Survco card axe http://youtu.be/L26b_VDRxDw
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Titanium roll up volcano stove.

Weighs practically nothing and is perfect for making coffee, ramen, whatever, for a hot meal from just a few twigs.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Condoms and anti-biotics... you never know what kind of STDs will run rampant after the SHTF.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast