Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Feedback Score
    Prep. H individually wrapped wipes. Even if you dont suffer from the intended use of these( I dont) the medication seems to help with swamp ass. Since many people carry wipes anyway might as well carry some that are more multi-use.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Titanium roll up volcano stove.

Weighs practically nothing and is perfect for making coffee, ramen, whatever, for a hot meal from just a few twigs.
    That's very cool - where did you find the stove? Or did you make it?

A buddy of mine taught me a trick that worked relatively well for that need. He had two pairs of stainless steel chopsticks, and would stick three of them into the dirt, and build the fire. He'd rest the pot on the sticks. The forth chopstick worked as a stirring stick, or pot lifter.

Didn't always work for me, as I spent a lot of time in rocky desert areas. It seemed like every time I wanted to do that, I was on a solid rock platform. But when it did, it worked pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Not homemade. If you Google Ed T stoves, his stuff will pop up. Pretty simple design and works very well with a minimal amount of wood. He built mine to a specific cup/pot diameter.

He posts on hill people gear and 24 hour campfire.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the lead on the stove, I will check him out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

I picked up one of those pico sized grappling hooks as a result of this thread. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Not homemade. If you Google Ed T stoves, his stuff will pop up. Pretty simple design and works very well with a minimal amount of wood. He built mine to a specific cup/pot diameter.

He posts on hill people gear and 24 hour campfire.

PSA: If you google ole Ed and browse to his site, DO NOT install that flash download. If you need a flash update go to Adobe on your own please. That prompt just doesn't look right and that is a well known tactic of those who would invade your computer.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-16-15 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    I carry a couple yo-yo fishing rigs and some split shot and hooks. The yo-yo rigs can be set up for fishing or set up for snare traps.
    USMC VETERAN
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Proelium Comminos Auctoritate

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glad I could be of help.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I picked up one of those pico sized grappling hooks as a result of this thread. Thanks.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I thought what was in my fire kit was different but I guess its just my background

Potassium permanganate for sure, yes amazon

I also have sections of road flare ( Girl Scout Match) cut about 6 inches long and sealed with duct tape- when you need a fire in the rain, and when it rains in Az its raining, a spark shower from a ferro rod or ignition from butane lighter does the trick

A section of plastic tubing cut approx. 2 ft long with a 4 inch piece of 1/4 in copper pipe inserted. Its a blow tube to direct air to the ignition source in a tinder ball. Keeps the oxygen directed to the exact spot when its smoldering but not all the way burning. 2 reasons, first it keeps my face away from the produced flames and second it doesn't blow my tinder all over like blowing directly on it sometimes will. The copper pipe is used on the fire end so combustion doesn't burn up my blow tube

I also have one of those grappling hooks. I use it for recovering crayfish and minnow traps, if you tie one to the bank someone will steal it. If I would ever use a fish trap that's what the hook would be used for too.
    Last edited by PLA; 04-10-15 at 04:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    It's always interesting to see what some of the oddball type items folks carry in their packs/kits.

I'd say the strangest item I carry is a pencil sharpener. It makes short work of pines, and beats the hell out of carving up feathersticks by hand.

The other odd one is modified, waterproof sparklers.

Other than that, it's pretty much standard fare. Just curious to see what some of y'all are carrying that's atypical.
    M&Ms, melt in your mouth not in your kit!
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast