Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Sorry, but what would you use a door stop in the woods for? In case you wandered upon a well-kept cabin in the woods or something? For the life of me, I can think of any other use for a door stop in the wild. You could always carry a hatchet or large camp knife and make a door stop out of a piece of wood or something...
    The wedge is one of man's oldest tools. I've set them behind knives while baton cutting wood, used them to level corners of the grill (from underneath with a bit of wood to keep cool), hold something open after I've pried or lifted something up - they're just a bit thicker than my hand. It's a pain in the ass to make a wedge by whittling, and some desert places I get to don't have any wood just lying about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    The wedge is one of man's oldest tools. I've set them behind knives while baton cutting wood, used them to level corners of the grill (from underneath with a bit of wood to keep cool), hold something open after I've pried or lifted something up - they're just a bit thicker than my hand. It's a pain in the ass to make a wedge by whittling, and some desert places I get to don't have any wood just lying about.
    Good points all around. What kind of door stops do you carry? I don't imagine the polymer ones would withstand much batoning.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Generally whatever is cheap on sale. The hard rubber ones out of the industrial catalogs are good.

I suppose hardwood wedges that weren't too wide would work. Some of my buddies on the fire department keep them on their jackets when they go inside the building. But they push them underneath the door using a hammer or axe. The thing that keeps me from using them, is remembering how poorly they kept doors open when I was a kid in school.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Ha!, they would be great for this place, the wind is always blowing the doors shut.
    Just so you know, nearly spit coffee all over my kids homework this morning when I saw this!

+1 Internets for you sir.

Jimmy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Just so you know, nearly spit coffee all over my kids homework this morning when I saw this!

+1 Internets for you sir.

Jimmy
    That place is located very near me. Not sure if you know who Jason Mraz ( singer/songwriter ) is, but that is his wife. That place is located near where he grew up. They got married there last year.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Small bottle of potassium permanganate.

Firestarter, disinfectant, water purifier, and it will flat out kill jungle rot on your feet.
    The glycerin that's needed with it is very useful as well. Glycerin is good as a laxative, stain remover, lotion, sweetener, preservative and is very useful for making your own soap (actually very easy to do in the bush). I carry potassium permanganate and glycerin as well. One of the most important and most versatile things in my kit. I also Cary a small container of lard (any fat will do). It's good for rust prevention (it's what I maintain my axes with. No rust, even in pissing rain or snow), leather and fabric waterproofing/conditioning, takes the place of butter for cooking, will work as a weapon lubricant (no it's not my go to. I run slip 2k but it does do the job just fine) and goes liquid as it heats up, good as a skin/lip balm, and a hundred other uses. It's cheap, easy and renewable if you kill something and render it's fat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Unconventional/Uncommon/Unique Items in Your Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Good points all around. What kind of door stops do you carry? I don't imagine the polymer ones would withstand much batoning.
    I've already made them from a 2x4 using my skilsaw. Not that I've cut an entire 8' 2x4 into wedges, but I'd venture to say you could make enough for all your bug out bags and then some.. I have kit that is at home and kit I travel with. When I travel it's always by air so I have to get creative especially in the personal defense side. I do carry a couple of polymer door stops in my bag to use in my hotel room. Never have actually needed them but I carry them nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 01-23-16 at 00:43.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I have photos of my family in my BOB/emergency bag. Although sentimental reasons play a role in why I carry them, they also serve a practical purpose. If, God forbid, I am separated from them in an emergency situation, I will have photos of them to show around to help me find them. Of course this will only work if I'm in a populated area but it is much faster, easier, and more accurate than trying to describe them verbally.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers and thumbs
    Last edited by coastwatcher42; 05-20-16 at 17:01.
    "When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not Guilty." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Vaseline infused cotton balls in a zip lock bag for fire starting.

- light, compact and work like magic.
    I use dryer lint packed in toilet paper tubes. Also another way to use the dryer lint or cotton balls too, is to take cardboard egg cartons, separate the 12 cells & stuff each one with dryer lint wrap some dental floss around. And dip in paraffin wax. The balls are waterproof and you don't have to worry about cross contamination. Not as easy as Vaseline and cotton balls though , that's for sure.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe

Snugpack Ionosphere 1 man tent

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast