Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: please help...need advice...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP:
    I'd suggest at least trying a VP9 and decide for yourself.. If as was stated, you're not heavily invested in Glock mags, etc, then by all means give a VP9 a look. HK's are what they are, some of us here appreciate HK's others don't.. Since I own a VP9 I can honestly say this about it

1. The trigger is pretty decent, brand new, they often have a little creep which disappears after putting some rounds through it.
    2. Recoil springs are kinda stiff when new, cheap, underpowered ammo can cause failures, I ran a box of Fed 124gr +p's through mine and had no problems with any other ammo after that.
    3.Unlike the Glock I had, it will not throw brass in your face.
    4. I shoot the VP9 better than the Glock (G19) I had, by a wide margin.
    5. Mags are more expensive, reading over at HK pro, a shipment of mags from Germany is due in the middle of this month,(I myself, have plenty) Call HKUSA first, They usually have the best price, never buy anything from HK parts.net that guy is waaaay overpriced on everything.
    6. As far as semi auto handguns go, On this site Glocks rule, anything else is pretty much given the stinkeye...
    7. Holsters, sights, are available...just look around.. I've got Dawson sights on mine..
    8. Since you are going to carry/use this pistol,(whatever you decide) Get what YOU want, you're going to be carrying it, not me.
    Last edited by ralph; 03-02-15 at 21:28.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    After shooting the HK VP9, I no longer have much use for my Glocks.

I determine what gun I carry by how well I can shoot it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If you're looking at this as an opportunity to try out a new gun that you've had an eye on, and want others to verify that's okay, then by all means, rock on.

If you want to get the most "practical" gun, that's probably a glock. You can get whatever holster, whatever set of sights, and tons of mags within a week from almost anywhere on the internet. If one is looking for a tool to train with, a glock is probably the most turn key solution.

But that's pretty much what they are, a tool. For some, they're about as fun as other tools to use. If this is part hobby and you just flat out enjoy shooting something besides a glock, there's nothing wrong with that.

I've jumped from gun to gun a lot in the past. Ugh, a lot. I hate to think how much money I've pissed away on that, but water under the bridge and all. I've found for me, that I shoot a lot of drills best with a 9 mm Glock. The grip angle allows me to lock my wrists and arms out so that the gun barely lifts during recoil. I can shoot faster splits on a smaller target with a Glock than anything else. Things get tougher around 25 yards. I can shoot 90+ on a NRA B8 target at that distance, but it's harder than with other guns. Once I get to 25 yards I can see an accuracy difference (in my hands at least), between a Glock and HKs, Sigs, CZs, and 1911s. I think a lot of that is the Glock trigger more than the mechanical accuracy of the guns, it's a tougher trigger to shoot at distance. If I go a few weeks without shooting for groups at 25 yards I see my scores drop.

I think there's a lot of value in having common parts between your own personal gun and the one you just gave to your fiance. But, plenty of people get through the world owning multiple types of firearms. You'll have to decide what's most important to you here, and take the plunge. All of the quality guns out there now have their positive points, and their warts, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecheese View Post
    I own both a VP9, Walther PPQ (M2 5"), Sig SP2022 and an M&P and have shot enough Glocks to know the ins and outs, and the VP9 and Walther PPQ are without a doubt in a class by themselves in the poly group of pistols. Ergonomics, trigger, fit, finish, accuracy etc. Even if you did some trigger work on a Glock, it is still outclassed IMO. I would even put the Sig SP2022 above the Glock but it's DA/SA action puts it in a subcategory.

OP, I would go with the VP9 or Walther PPQ (M2 if you prefer traditional mag release) and be done with it!
    What you said is fine and good, but have you noticed any quantitative difference between those guns and Glocks like split times or offhand group sizes? For me there would be no accuracy difference because I can do 3" or better offhand groups with Glocks if I really try and I doubt I would see a difference going to a VP9. Splits would probably be better for me on the Block, reloads would be better for me with the Glock. No offense but I think the Euro paddle mag release is unnatural feeling) and the slide release levers are horrifically oversized for my hands so the slide ends up closed rather than locking back unless I go out of my way to move my thumbs far away from the gun which just feels uncomfortable.

So to me, it is not in another league. This is a highly subjective choice. While I agree the trigger is nice, it isn't anything like a nice single action trigger and I didn't feel it helped me over a Glock trigger.

Feedback Score
    The VP9 is a classic case of a pistol that rewards good shooters - without exception every single proficient shooter I know who has tried one loves it and has ended up buying one. If your skills are not that great then frankly the VP9 will be a waste and your performance with it or any other polymer framed handgun will not differ much

Sometimes people don't want to hear they don't shoot well and it's easy to be a great shooter behind a keyboard but the proof is in the pudding - I see it all the time in my classes

Feedback Score
    Simple solution is to just try a VP9 yourself. Find someone in your area & get out to a range to feed it a box or two. You won't know unless you actually spend some time shooting it. Since you already know what a Glock feels like, try a different platform to see if it's worth all the hype. For me it was.

P.S. Interesting comment by L.V. above. Can't wait to see what the feedback is from this one....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    The VP9 is a classic case of a pistol that rewards good shooters - without exception every single proficient shooter I know who has tried one loves it and has ended up buying one. If your skills are not that great then frankly the VP9 will be a waste and your performance with it or any other polymer framed handgun will not differ much

Sometimes people don't want to hear they don't shoot well and it's easy to be a great shooter behind a keyboard but the proof is in the pudding - I see it all the time in my classes
    I found this out to be true as well.......more so than any other firearm in recent memory (the Glock has never had the wow factor).

Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    What you said is fine and good, but have you noticed any quantitative difference between those guns and Glocks like split times or offhand group sizes? For me there would be no accuracy difference because I can do 3" or better offhand groups with Glocks if I really try and I doubt I would see a difference going to a VP9. Splits would probably be better for me on the Block, reloads would be better for me with the Glock. No offense but I think the Euro paddle mag release is unnatural feeling) and the slide release levers are horrifically oversized for my hands so the slide ends up closed rather than locking back unless I go out of my way to move my thumbs far away from the gun which just feels uncomfortable.

So to me, it is not in another league. This is a highly subjective choice. While I agree the trigger is nice, it isn't anything like a nice single action trigger and I didn't feel it helped me over a Glock trigger.

The only quantitative or empirical data I have ascertained was through spending several days at the range with a variety of ammunition, and a multitude of distances and shooting positions. All things being equal, and we did a test run with all these pistols in a fixed vice, they would all be exceptional. Be that as it may, that isn't pragmatic or realistic, so it boils down to the operator and how comfortable they are with their pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    If you're looking at this as an opportunity to try out a new gun that you've had an eye on, and want others to verify that's okay, then by all means, rock on.

If you want to get the most "practical" gun, that's probably a glock. You can get whatever holster, whatever set of sights, and tons of mags within a week from almost anywhere on the internet. If one is looking for a tool to train with, a glock is probably the most turn key solution.

But that's pretty much what they are, a tool. For some, they're about as fun as other tools to use. If this is part hobby and you just flat out enjoy shooting something besides a glock, there's nothing wrong with that.

I've jumped from gun to gun a lot in the past. Ugh, a lot. I hate to think how much money I've pissed away on that, but water under the bridge and all. I've found for me, that I shoot a lot of drills best with a 9 mm Glock. The grip angle allows me to lock my wrists and arms out so that the gun barely lifts during recoil. I can shoot faster splits on a smaller target with a Glock than anything else. Things get tougher around 25 yards. I can shoot 90+ on a NRA B8 target at that distance, but it's harder than with other guns. Once I get to 25 yards I can see an accuracy difference (in my hands at least), between a Glock and HKs, Sigs, CZs, and 1911s. I think a lot of that is the Glock trigger more than the mechanical accuracy of the guns, it's a tougher trigger to shoot at distance. If I go a few weeks without shooting for groups at 25 yards I see my scores drop.

I think there's a lot of value in having common parts between your own personal gun and the one you just gave to your fiance. But, plenty of people get through the world owning multiple types of firearms. You'll have to decide what's most important to you here, and take the plunge. All of the quality guns out there now have their positive points, and their warts, too.
    I respectfully disagree with your analysis. The Glock in my estimation is one of the single worst out of the box pistols on the market. There is a reason the sights, slide stop, mag release and triggers are bordering on intolerable, because Glock knows everyone ends up upgrading these deficiencies. You want a turn key weapon with excellent trigger, sights........VP9 is by far the best option.
    Last edited by Toecheese; 03-03-15 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post

Wow! I know several M and GM level that were like "meh"; just another pistol.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    People seem to be getting emotional about a pistol.
    The VP9 isn't bad. And with perfect practice; you can't go wrong with it.
    After years and years of manual of arms for Glock, it simply wasn't right for me. I have piles of Glock magazines, accessories, and am more familiar with it. It simply doesn't make seem efficient for me to learn another pistol.
    It is comfortable and quite serviceable but it didn't radically change anything. The trigger is a bit nicer but I'm so used to the Glock trigger it doesnt seem here nor there.
    Forgive the analogy but it's like.... it's like this girl you are really attracted to. Everything is there. Everything. Maybe too much of everything. Perhaps an over-idealized uncanny valley. And there's a redundance of high qualification. A singularity of function. And it becomes another investment of time and money.

I guess if I were to country it down, it was just too much gun for me. Part of me wishes I had given it longer but a larger part of me knows I'm going to do what I'm going to do so it may as well be with a Glock. Plus I've just got too many glock holsters.
    I suppose I'm institutionalized. But to those that can break the surly bonds of Glock; I understand completely.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wow! I know several M and GM level that were like "meh"; just another pistol.
    Care to elaborate?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast