Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How ready is your HD rifle?

Feedback Score

How ready is your HD rifle?

I saw a thread a few days ago which discussed the merits of various options,loaded mag inserted with bolt locked to the rear vs round in chamber safety on, muzzle up vs muzzle down etc, etc.
    I've tried to search a couple of forums here from reloading to terminal ballistics, and have read probably 150 pages between yesterday and today and can't find this thread.
    Any help is appreciated. I've just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and can no longer hold a handgun and a light at the same time, so I'm transitioning HD to my BCM Middy with rail mounted light. I've also got more time to read than ever.

Thanks,
    Oak
    NRA Life/Patron
    CCW nearly every day since 1977

Feedback Score
    Last edited by 7.62NATO; 04-30-15 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thoughts and the links. Gotta be what I'm looking for in there somewhere.

Oak
    NRA Life/Patron

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Prayers

On this issue I keep mine in condition 3 , loaded mag on an empty chamber bolt forward. I have a 20 rnd mag with hornady tap. The 20 rnd should provide me with enough fire power keeping the rifle more compact and handy. It is quick to get into action.

Your situation may have different circumstances, given your condition you may consider keeping it condition 1 as your strength may vary. A 30 rnd mag my be more advantageous for less reloads as well as using it in the prone as a static position may be more in your tactics.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've gone ahead and switched over to keeping a live round in the chamber with the safety on for my Home D SBR. Took a little getting used to. But the idea of having to run the charging handle either discretely or in a panic wasn't appealing to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Prayers for you Oak!

At this point I keep a loaded mag in my SBR and the bolt open and safety on. I've gone back and forth between this and bolt closed on a live round and so far have decided to keep it the way I am now. Weapon is muzzle up in my closet with my T1 always on. I also carry a G19 daily and it is on my nightstand at night. Even though my SBR is in the closet it's only about 15ft at most from the bed. Would take about 2 seconds at most to get to it if need be. My wife keeps a M&P 45 Middy on her side of the bed also. We do have kids but they have been around loaded guns all of their lives. They also shoot and hunt with me and have their own weapons. I'm not worried about them and having loaded weapons around the house.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 03-05-15 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    My own version of logic had me pointed toward condition 3. Glad that I'm seeing that reinforced a bit here. I'm a lefty and all of a sudden have very little use of my left hand, which in my case means I can charge the rifle with my RH using the Ambi CH and safety will be on. Good things from my position. My girlfriend and I are the only two in the house, so in most (all?) cases I won't be going hunting or moving to protect others. Bedroom is at one end of hallway with nightlight positioned in bathroom to backlight anyone in the hallway. 30 round mag of 62 grain Fusion in the rifle with another 30 rounds handy in the very unlikely event that I need them and can still use them.

Oak
    NRA Life/Patron

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oak, firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Never give up the fight brother. (PM coming your way shortly.)

Re HD: I don't keep an AR ready for HD. For that I have a 12ga shotgun, Mossy 500 with a Surefire Combat Light attached. I've done some shooting drills and it's dead on accurate at HD ranges. I live in the suburbs of a large city and don't want to worry about over penetration or passing through walls. (I know the AR isn't as bad on that front as some may think but I just don't want to take the chance.)

Feedback Score
    Positive thoughts and prayers your way, Oak, as you battle your illness.

Mag in magwell, bolt open, safety engaged. Left thumb can release bolt and right thumb can sweep off safety in a very short time.
    Last edited by GunBugBit; 03-04-15 at 14:51.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast