Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How ready is your HD rifle?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mine is muzzle down, condition 3 at night. Loaded with 55gr Barnes TSX.

I've gone back and forth on this and have implemented other safeguards in the home so that it is virtually impossible to not have 30s to 'make ready'. Unless ninjas manage to rappel into my second story bedroom. So I admittedly unprepared...for ninjas.

Prayers sent your way buddy. Keep up the fight!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I keep my rifle loaded and chambered w/safety on due to my bedroom's location within the house. It sits right next to my bed muzzle up.

**OAK**
    Ammo is hard to come by these days with the scare. I have a few hundred m855 rounds sitting around that cant fit in my ammo cans. If you need some blaster ammo send me a PM with your address and ill get it shipped out to you by this weekend.
    Last edited by Sasahara; 03-04-15 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    I would like to keep my HD rifle loaded with one in the chamber, but I have kids in the house so I choose not to keep one in the chamber. My go to HD gun is a 10" 300BLK with 300 lumen weapon light and Eotech, with a 30 round mag inserted on a closed bolt, chamber empty, safety on. The mag is filled with Barnes 110gr Tac-TX rounds, and I have a Specwar 7.62 can on the way that will stay on the gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Currently:
    16" middy, Condition three, Aimpoint T-2 on setting 5, face up next to my bed with a 30 round pmag full of Mk262

But my primary home defense weapon is my XD-45 stoked with 230gr HSTs with a TLR-3 that sits on the night stand. I have "better" handguns, but my XD has never had a single malfunction so I trust it. I keep a loaded 18" 870, empty chamber, with 7 Winchester Super-X 16 pellet #1 buck in the tube, 4 buck and ball and 4 1.25 oz reduced recoil slugs on the side saddle behind some clothes in my closet.

I also sleep near two flashlights, a machete, a large fixed blade knife, and an aluminum pony league bat.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I would like to keep my HD rifle loaded with one in the chamber, but I have kids in the house so I choose not to keep one in the chamber. My go to HD gun is a 10" 300BLK with 300 lumen weapon light and Eotech, with a 30 round mag inserted on a closed bolt, chamber empty, safety on. The mag is filled with Barnes 110gr Tac-TX rounds, and I have a Specwar 7.62 can on the way that will stay on the gun.
    I hear ya man. Every night my G19 is on the nightstand, SBR next to the bed and every morning I strap the 19 on, put SBR mags in drawer safe, and throw the SBR on a high shelf in the closet. Kinda a pain but worth keeping their little hands off of.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Firearms in the bedroom (1pistol, 1carbine), to include carbine, are chambered. Puzzles face walls the way they are stored, which is on their side.

Other HD guns around the house have a loaded mag in them, they are not chambered and the hammers are dropped. This is easy to confirm because on an AR the safety won't move and on a glock the trigger is back.

I do not have children or anything like that I have to worry about in my home. My approach would differ if I did.

Edit to add: I don't like bolt locked back because shaking the gun or a light impact will charge it. therefor I decided I was more comfortable with it chambered, knowing as much , and treating it as such.
    Last edited by TMS951; 03-04-15 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    Mine is near the bed, muzzle up, Aimpoint PRO on and empty chamber. One P-mag full of Hornady TAP in the mag well. One quick rack of the BCM charging handle and the Colt is ready for action.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I hear ya man. Every night my G19 is on the nightstand, SBR next to the bed and every morning I strap the 19 on, put SBR mags in drawer safe, and throw the SBR on a high shelf in the closet. Kinda a pain but worth keeping their little hands off of.
    This pretty much mirrors the routine in my home. SBR is parked behind the bed, 30 rnds, muzzle down, RDS is on an optimal setting for total darkness without washing out under a 120 lumen torch. The P228 is within arms reach on the night stand.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 03-04-15 at 15:43.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oak,

Prayers to you my friend. Godspeed in your fight.

I have a noveske reece as my goto. I am with some of the others-- mag inserted, bolt locked back, safety on.

Surefire fury 500 lumen light mounted at 1:30 position.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My fear of keeping the bolt open would be accidental chamberings if dropped\fell. Not to mention the reg everyday crap floating in the chamber. In this case might as well keep it cond 1 . At least you know for sure where your gun stands. For me its eithr 1 or 3.
    I just dont see any real benefit to leaving the bolt to the rear.
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 03-04-15 at 15:51.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast