Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870 project (short barrel, etc)

Feedback Score

870 project (short barrel, etc)

Hi, looking for input.

I have an old beater wingmaster that works great but I want to do something with it. Getting "the works" looks like it might be 2k+. I debated making that the next project but can't justify the money.

Since it's not a duty weapon but more for fun, I'm deciding on budget-awesome.

Definitely are shorten the barrel, shorten or replace stock, and cerakote.

After that I'm thinking light mount, sling (QD attachments) and maybe ghost rings.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All of your above are good. You might call Vang Comp about doing your barrel

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you don't want to shorten your barrel you can usually find 14-18 inch factory barrels in the net. And sell your current one to recoup some cost. I think Botach has the 14" ones regularly. I would do the barrel, furniture w/ shorter stock (maybe Speed Feed stock w/ shell holders and Surefire fore end), at least change the front bead to a tritium or fiber sight, and maybe a side saddle or probably shell cards.

I thought about picking up a project 870 but I think I'll buy a new 870P instaed. I just wish I could find a factory SBS w/ 14" barrel. I'm not sure Remington even sell a factory SBS though?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Honestly, the very first (and cheapest) mods I would do is a new Wolff mag spring and Hans Vang follower.

A good gunsmith can shorten the barrel for you for less than the cost of a new or used one.

I'm partial to an XS Big Dot tritium front sight on a shotgun.

A used stock and fore-end can be found on eBay for cheap.

Down the road, find a deal on a Surefire 618 light.

I've got four defensive shotguns (I know, I know...) and those are what they start out with as their first mods.

Then you can look into an Aimpoint Micro, Magpul stock, Vickers sling, Mesa Tactical Side Saddle, eyc....

Feedback Score
    In my opinion the beauty of a shotgun is two fold; simplicity and versatility. Whenever I build a weapon I like to first define the purpose of the weapon. In the case of a defensive shotgun, a lightweight (relative) and short length translates to ease of handling which is very important in a defensive weapon. I usually opt for an 18" barrel for this purpose. I also prefer a shorter than popular length LOP, somewhere between 12" and 13" works well for me. I am 5'9". A shorter stock also allows for better management of the recoil. As far as magazine extensions, side saddles and buttstock ammo carriers go, you may want to ask yourself do you really need 12-15 rounds on the gun to investigate the proverbial bump in the night problem?
    When one begins to add lots of aftermarket accessories you tend to reduce the versatility, simplicity and handiness of the weapon. That being said, I do like a dedicated Surefire light. Lights are a necessity on a defensive weapon.
    As far as sights go, again, define the purpose of the weapon. A simple bead may suffice or go with ghost rings if you need them.
    I know this philosophy may not be popular and it sure isn't range sexy but it has worked for me for years.
    Last edited by woodsbum; 03-04-15 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsbum View Post
    In my opinion the beauty of a shotgun is two fold; simplicity and versatility. Whenever I build a weapon I like to first define the purpose of the weapon. In the case of a defensive shotgun, a lightweight (relative) and short length translates to ease of handling which is very important in a defensive weapon. I usually opt for an 18" barrel for this purpose. I also prefer a shorter than popular length LOP, somewhere between 12" and 13" works well for me. I am 5'9". A shorter stock also allows for better management of the recoil. As far as magazine extensions, side saddles and buttstock ammo carriers go, you may want to ask yourself do you really need 12-15 rounds on the gun to investigate the proverbial bump in the night problem?
    When one begins to add lots of aftermarket accessories you tend to reduce the versatility, simplicity and handiness of the weapon. That being said, I do like a dedicated Surefire light. Lights are a necessity on a defensive weapon.
    As far as sights go, again, define the purpose of the weapon. A simple bead may suffice or go with ghost rings if you need them.
    I know this philosophy may not be popular and it sure isn't range sexy but it has worked for me for years.
    Agreed. Define the tasks you wish to accomplish, and tailor the tool for the job.

The shotgun is honestly my third choice for home defense. But as you say, there are niches that it fills very well. I like to think of them like mortars. Slow to load, more cumbersome to deploy, not very portable, shells that you have to handle manually/one at a time.

But when employed properly, they are devastating in their niche.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey,
    Check out AI&P Tactical. He refinished my shotgun and has good deals on accessories. Mine was an old express mag. He made it look like new. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsbum View Post
    This is exactly the logic I followed with my beater 870 Police Wingmaster project. Had big plans, hit the brakes and decided to start simple and go from there. Now I like it too much as it sits to add or change anything.

Chopped the wood stock for a ~12.5" LOP and refinished the furniture, threw in an 18" barrel, upgraded some worn internals, slapped on a +2 and sling and called it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    This is exactly the logic I followed with my beater 870 Police Wingmaster project. Had big plans, hit the brakes and decided to start simple and go from there. Now I like it too much as it sits to add or change anything.

Chopped the wood stock for a ~12.5" LOP and refinished the furniture, threw in an 18" barrel, upgraded some worn internals, slapped on a +2 and sling and called it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is sharp looking! Now you've got me inspired to build a wood furniture gun.

Feedback Score
    I was picturing something like that just with a 10-14" Barrel, light, maybe ghost rings, and solid black.

Don't know if there is a way to just do the wood black vs a full cerakote

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast