Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 870 project (short barrel, etc)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    I was picturing something like that just with a 10-14" Barrel, light, maybe ghost rings, and solid black.

Don't know if there is a way to just do the wood black vs a full cerakote
    If you desire black wood, you could always pick up a cheap set of wood furniture on eBay, then sand the existing finish off. Go to Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace and pick up some black wood stain.

That could actually look kind of neat if you had some nice grain on the wood, now that I think of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    This is exactly the logic I followed with my beater 870 Police Wingmaster project. Had big plans, hit the brakes and decided to start simple and go from there. Now I like it too much as it sits to add or change anything.

Chopped the wood stock for a ~12.5" LOP and refinished the furniture, threw in an 18" barrel, upgraded some worn internals, slapped on a +2 and sling and called it a day.
    I like the looks of it, might I suggest grinding/rolling the heel and toe of the recoil pad just a bit to keep from grabbing/snagging as you mount the gun. I like this profile:

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/images/kickeez_501.jpg

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I like the looks of it, might I suggest grinding/rolling the heel and toe of the recoil pad just a bit to keep from grabbing/snagging as you mount the gun. I like this profile:

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/images/kickeez_501.jpg
    Or the old sporting clays trick... Wrap a couple of layers of electrical tape sides of the pad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    I was picturing something like that just with a 10-14" Barrel, light, maybe ghost rings, and solid black.

Don't know if there is a way to just do the wood black vs a full cerakote
    Anything less than 12.5" will require custom mods of the magazine and seriously limit your barrel options later on down the road. I also feel personally that GR sights on an SBS are a hindrance rather than a help, as they tend to make the gun more likely to snag on stuff and harder to deploy. I have 2 14"-ers and they both have Big Dot tritium beads on them and I can still make body hits on an IPSC option target at 100m with both. I like the 14" over the 12.5" as it allows a +1 extension and makes it less likely that I'll run my hand past the muzzle (I have a 37" sleeve so this may not be an issue for some)...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Perfect timing on this thread. I may be inheriting an old Wingmaster in great shape. I don't hunt, so I'm looking to do something similar in turning it into something more practical without a second mortgage. I'll probably go factory or one of the Mossberg made barrels to get it down to 18.5". Any preferences out there for mag extensions? I know the 18.5" barrel will limit me to a +2. Lots of Choates and ProMag extensions out there, steering clear of those. I'll probably go for the Wilson Combat unless anyone here steers me elsewhere. Nordic looks good, but pricier that I've seen so far. Still trying to decide whether to get a pistol-grip stock or just go full Magpul. Either way I'll probably sell the wood on eBay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cynical View Post
    Perfect timing on this thread. I may be inheriting an old Wingmaster in great shape. I don't hunt, so I'm looking to do something similar in turning it into something more practical without a second mortgage. I'll probably go factory or one of the Mossberg made barrels to get it down to 18.5". Any preferences out there for mag extensions? I know the 18.5" barrel will limit me to a +2. Lots of Choates and ProMag extensions out there, steering clear of those. I'll probably go for the Wilson Combat unless anyone here steers me elsewhere. Nordic looks good, but pricier that I've seen so far. Still trying to decide whether to get a pistol-grip stock or just go full Magpul. Either way I'll probably sell the wood on eBay.
    There is very little by way of shotgun parts that I don't recommend Hans Vang for, with Wilson a fairly close second...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Agreed. Hans Vang makes great shotgun parts, as does Bill Wilson.

On a shorter barrel, the +1 Wilson extension is really nice. On a 20" barrel, I'm fond of the Vang +2 extension.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Question on the SBS and NFA do you have to fill out paperwork every time you cross state lines?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Question on the SBS and NFA do you have to fill out paperwork every time you cross state lines?
    Yes and no. If you have several trips planned you can send in notification once with the states you're visiting. You need permission to leave your home state with the NFA weapon. With a SBS/SBR you can also just switch out the short bbl for a non NFA one and travel. Leaving the short bbls home.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    This is exactly the logic I followed with my beater 870 Police Wingmaster project. Had big plans, hit the brakes and decided to start simple and go from there. Now I like it too much as it sits to add or change anything.

Chopped the wood stock for a ~12.5" LOP and refinished the furniture, threw in an 18" barrel, upgraded some worn internals, slapped on a +2 and sling and called it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like the simplicity of this set up. I really like the shortened stock!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast