Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9A1 Technical Questions...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Beretta M9A1 Technical Questions...

Not looking to start a flame war. I'm thinking about picking up a Beretta, as it's what I'm issued for a pistol. I don't need it for concealed carry, etc, so let's not go down the 9mm ego-trip rabbit hole for what 9mm I should be buying. I just like that for being issued it, it is certainly a shootable/accurate pistol. I've decided to get the railed version, since I might like to change the front sight one day, and that brings me to the M9A1 vs the 92A1. I've read a couple of the threads so far, including the one on the pending(?) M9A3, and am left with the following questions.

1-Is there any reason to get the 92A1 over the M9A1? I know the 92A1 has a captured recoil spring, which doesn't matter to me, and an interesting blue insert(buffer plate?) in the frame. Does the insert honestly matter long term if you stay on top of your springs? Can you convert the M9A1 to include the insert?

2-Do the current M9A1s come with the improved Gen 3 locking blocks? Do they need to be replaced periodically? Are Gen 3 locking blocks the latest and greatest?

3-Other than the trigger guard and frame insert, is there any other difference between the M9A1 and the 92A1? I could care less about the trigger guard. I do like that the M9A1 is manufactured in America by Americans, not imported from Italy. I also like that the M9A1 comes with the Sand Resistant mags, though my normal mags never gave me issues overseas as I cleaned them regularly. I also don't live in a desert.

4-What maintenance in this pistol is there that I need to be aware of? I'm a 1911 guy at heart, so you're not going to shock me here.

I know that pistol receives a lot of hate, but none of it has been reflected by my experiences with the pistol so long as the magazines were in good shape. Again, I do not intend a CCW role for this pistol, though the winters here certainly allow for it. Intended role for it is range use, occasional practice, possible bedside type use with a weapon mounted light, and I will be taking classes with it if purchased. I will likely use this Beretta in MIL/LE classes to increase my skill set and familiarity with it, and hopefully become more proficient with what I'm issued, not just what I'd prefer to carry. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Someone on another forum offered some suggestions:

http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1112

I've searched all over the internet and finding information on specific upgrades you can make to an M9A1 is really hard to find. Over the course of two months I researched and I think I've compiled the best upgrades you can do for just over a hundred bucks. So I wanted to create a thread in case anyone out there is looking to do some work on there M9A1 or any other 92SF.

I purchased the following from Brownells,

EliteII hammer;
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...t/HAMMER-ELITE
    It supposedly increases cycle speed and gives a lighter pull to the trigger. Both are great but I must admit, the big seller for me was that a skeletonized hammer looks awesome.

D version main spring; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...RING-D-VERSION
    I also found that some people are using a 1911 mainspring but I wanted to stick to a Beretta factory part. The spring provides a much lighter trigger pull.

Wolff Trigger conversion; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ONVERSION-UNIT
    This part was originally created to replace a weak trigger spring. I read that this was developed for the US Boarder Patrol and the problems they had with the factory trigger sprig breaking. I found that is helps for really smooth trigger pull. It comes in a lighter and heaver version. To me its main job is to provide return so I figured factory weight was fine.

Steel trigger;
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2.../TRIGGER-STEEL
    Feels better than polymer. Helps with trigger pull because of the increased weight. I also like the look of a gun with a trigger colored separate from the rest of the gun.

Aluminum grips;
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ALUMINUM-GRIPS
    A buddy of mine has a 1911 with a pair of Alumagrips on it and it feels great. The ones they make for Beretta are just as great. They provide a very positive grip.
    I always toy with the idea of getting a Beretta M9A1, so I've reread this several times.

Feedback Score
    The OP said he may want to change out the front sight someday.
    Wouldn't the 92A1 be easier to change out the front sight, as it's dovetailed, whereas the M9A1's front sight is fixed (with no dovetail)?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Go with the 92A1 and don't look back.

I replaced the recoil spring/rod with a non-captured version from WC.

The 92A1 has a means to replace the front sight...it is my understanding that the M9A1 does not.

The recoil buffer is, as far as I'm concerned, a nice insurance policy, but I can't attest to how advantageous it is, as I don't have the M9A1 for comparison.

Like the 1911, keep it lubed, replace the springs at a regular interval: 5,000 rounds or so, and call it good. The M/92's can be run through hell and back.

If you buy a current issue Beretta, the locking block "problem" simply isn't.

Just do it.

; )

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The M9A1 doesn't have a detailed front sight? For some reason I thought it did. I handled the 92A1 today, it definitely had a dovetail as you have all mentioned. I guess that would settle the choice between the two.

Feedback Score
    Is it still advisable to replace the trigger spring?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd be interested in trigger spring replacement info as well. I just had my LGS place the brand new 92A1 I looked at yesterday on hold for me, I'll go pick it up in a week or so. It looks like my only option for having a holster and mag carriers for it by May is Bravo Concealment. Raven and JM Customs have a 9 week wait time, and I won't get to order for another week.

Feedback Score
    Ref the trigger spring...the old spring loop was smaller and could bind. Some years back, Beretta increased the size of the loop and I believe it was a little thicker gauge wire as well. Supposedly, this largely eliminated the problem. That said, I went with the Wolff trigger conversion unit in my most recent Beretta. You will have to replace the polymer trigger with a steel one though. It really isn't that hard (not like a Glock though) and there are youtube videos out there. Though more expensive than several regular springs, the Wolff unit is easier to install and is reported to be much more durable.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Love my 92A1, it's by far my favorite handgun to shoot and enjoy. I've installed several of the Wilson Combat upgrades and I use a raven owb holster. Mine makes me look good and has handled any and all ammo I load into the mags with no problems. Great choice!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'd be interested in trigger spring replacement info as well. I just had my LGS place the brand new 92A1 I looked at yesterday on hold for me, I'll go pick it up in a week or so. It looks like my only option for having a holster and mag carriers for it by May is Bravo Concealment. Raven and JM Customs have a 9 week wait time, and I won't get to order for another week.
    If you're not going to attempt to conceal this thing, and plan on running a light, go with the Safariland 3280 or 3285.

I've confirmed these holsters will work with the 92A1, with or without a light. They will also work with the following lights: X300, X300U, X300V, X400, X400U, as confirmed by yours truly.

I don't think there's a pistol light these holsters won't work with.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast