Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9A1 Technical Questions...

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I have no intentions of concealing this pistol from the outset, so this holster may very well work for me. I do not need it to be a light compatible holster off the start, but might as well knock both birds out with one stone. Once I got over my disdain for the M9, I came to really like it, and I don't think there is a 9mm I shoot better right now. I remember stepping back to do some 25 yard head shots at a shoot shortly after my return stateside with my completely Apex&10-8 upgraded M&P9, and hitting most of them. Then my buddy said "Try this old friend" and handed me his Beretta. I drilled them all, and decided I'd have one someday. Now that my 1911's are back from their facelifts, my carry needs are taken care of, so I may as well shoot a 9mm I enjoy. My next one will probably get the "G" conversion and maybe even the "D" spring, but for now I want to mirror my duty pistol concerning trigger and safety. It shoots well enough the way it is, after all.

Beyond Safariland, does anyone else have suggestions for duty holsters? My requirements are that it not be a high-ride holster, not be a SERPA, and not have weird locking mechanisms. I might just go with the Safariland and be done with it. If I could get it with passive retention, even better. I will probably shoot this pistol at 3 Gun a time or two, so having a non locking holster would be nice if it is also low ride like Safariland offers.
    I'm exactly in the same place. I straight up just shoot this thing better, and more naturally, than any other handgun I've ever owned. All the rest is just wind-whizzing, because this gun flat out works *for me*.

On the 32XX holsters, you could remove the hood and just adjust the tensioning screws until you had the level of retention that you wanted. While they are hideous, Safariland really produced, in my opinion, one of the best holsters ever made. It's adjustable to accommodate almost any light on the planet, they will work with either a light or no light, and they have a customizable level of rentention. I can get over the looks really quick, knowing that there isn't a holster on the market that can even come close to the 32XX series in terms of adjustability.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The thing I DO NOT want is a gun that has to be "fixed" before you ever fire the first round. To me that's bullshit in a firearm that is sold as a self-defense weapon. I could maybe see buying a "hobby" gun that immediately needs upgrades, but a combat weapon should be ready to load and shoot with nothing more than a little lube.
    An M9A1 or 92A1 will do that.

I have a lot of miles on an M9, and they're the most reliable handgun I've ever used. And I'm a long time 9mm Glock shooter.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Other than being unrailed, what does the Brigadier give give up compared to the M9A1 or 92A1?

Feedback Score
    One of the NIB factory Beretta Brigadiers will give up nothing to the 92A1 except the "improved recoil system."
    It will give up checkering and beveled magwell to the M9A1.

The price on one of those is so close to the Wilson that I am glad I got one of the Wilsons. You get a front night sight, G operation, all metal parts, and the checkering and beveling on the Wilson. (plus the round trigger guard which I could not care less about having. I agree it looks better but I like the flat front for mounting stuff and I like the compatibility of the flat front)

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Honestly , I just wish I could get the M9A1 with a replaceable front sight. Short of going with the WC option, every other option leaves off at least one major option I'd like, but I don't feel like dropping WC levels of cash. Right now, it seems like going with the 92A1 will be my best bet so long as I am willing to settle holster-wise. I just hope that I can get the mag well beveled later.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Due to the fact that Beretta is AWESOME, their catalog offers you the following, EXCELLENT option.

Buy a Brigadier AND an M9A1.

Swap the Brig slide onto the M9A1 frame and sell the brig frame with the M9A1 slide on it as a 92FS with full disclosure, ie the fact that it is a parts gun.

You basically have a 92GSD without the front cocking serrations.

Its an expensive endeavor but it is one that yields good results.

Were i in your shoes i would simply wait for the M9A3 as it offers the "best" slide (reciprocating mass) in the mix out of all of berettas offerings. I shoot ALOT and do not believe i would ever need a brig slide as i am not shooting Nato pressure ammo.

It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when i look at beretta's catalog and see a hodgepodge of poorly put together offerings. Replaceable front sights are just SO over rated! .........................
    Last edited by Magsz; 03-07-15 at 14:21.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    My goodness, the more I think about it, the more I feel like just carving a pointing stick and calling it a day. I honestly don't need to have ALL of the things I want in one gun, but it's hard to choose what features to leave out. Getting a replaceable front sight imight not be worth losing holster compatibility and the beveled mag well. I think I'll end up fine with the M9, M9A1, 92A1, or Brigadier, it's just a matter of choosing. And there's also a Brigadier in stock at my LGS...maybe I'll start with that instead. Thinking about it, i don't feel a pistol with a light rail needs a tritium front sight as much as a non railed version.

Exactly how beveled is the M9/M9A1 mag well compared to a Brigadier or 92A1? And can the Brigadier or 92A1 be given the same bevel?
    Also-are all four of the aforementioned pistols (M9,M9A1,Brigadier,92A1) convertible to "G" mode?
    Last edited by opngrnd; 03-07-15 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    The issue of sights is a good one to bring up for those of us with older-than-draftee-age eyes. Are the M9A1 sights hard to pick up like a military 1911 sights?

Does the 92FS have better sights and/or a dovetail front sight?

Does someone make replacement sights?

Is the 92FS the same rugged quality as the M9A1 or did Beretta "skimp" on the commercial version?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The issue of sights is a good one to bring up for those of us with older-than-draftee-age eyes. Are the M9A1 sights hard to pick up like a military 1911 sights?

Does the 92FS have better sights and/or a dovetail front sight?

Does someone make replacement sights?

Is the 92FS the same rugged quality as the M9A1 or did Beretta "skimp" on the commercial version?
    Not sure I can answer all those questions, but yesterday I looked at the M9 and 92FS side by side and they appeared the same for all intents and purposes. Neither had a beveled magwell, but had integral front sights.

I need to compare the M9A1 and the 92A1 side to side next. I'm also going to look at the Brigadier. I just spoke with Beretta this morning, and the M9A3 isn't due till "late this year". If it were coming soon, I think I'd just go for that with no reservations.

Things seem to be split into several camps for me:
    1-Removable sights:
    Brigadier, 92A1

2-Light railed frame:
    M9A1, 92A1

3-Beveled mag well:
    M9A1, 92A1(according to website)

But the 92A1 retains a special frame. At this point, I can't have my cake and eat it for under $700, so I'm just going to decide which one sucks the least and buy that when I walk in. It won't honestly matter much on the daytime range. Maybe I'll end up with a M9A3 later. I did ask Tooltech they could install tritium in the front sight only, and that would solve any issue with the M9 series short of a broken front sight.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What carry load do you plan on running in the gun?

I guarantee it is not going to hit POA/POI with the stock, M9 sight configuration.

You will only have TWO rear sight options to adjust your elevation if you need to and those are the Novak and the Wilson. Id much rather be able to fine tune my POI via the front AND rear sights if need be.

Wait for the M9A3 unless you absolutely need a gun right this second.

In regard to the bevel. There is ZERO bevel on the standard 92 frame versus a pretty substantial bevel on the M9A1 frame.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast