Thread: 9mm ar15 build initial questions.

Feedback Score

9mm ar15 build initial questions.

Hey guys, I've built several successful 5.56 ar's but this is my first time dabbling in the pistol caliber world of ar's. My main questions that I have are with buffer/spring combo, barrel length and a few components. Firstly what buffer's do you guys tend to run? Is there a buffer variation weight like with 5.56? I'm going to form 1 this so it will be a shorty, I'm planning on doing an integral look with my Octane 9 under a rail of some sort, so I was thinking 5 or 7.5 inches for a barrel, who makes a good 9mm barrel? Or does the mfg not matter all that much are they all going to perform relatively the same? Also who makes the better and or preferred magazines? I am aiming more towards the colt style mag setup due to the fact that you have to modify bcg's if I go with a glock mag setup from what I've seen in previous posts. Speaking of bcg's how is the yankee hill carrier in comparison to the CMMG carrier? I'm asking a lot but I'm hoping that I can get the right answers quicker than having to dig through the forum haha.

Thanks guys!
    "Meet success like a gentleman and disaster like a man."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm slightly ahead of you in this by just a bit. I've picked out my parts and started assembling my gun. I still need a few items, but they're not function-critical. Here is my best attempt to answer your questions with my experience and observations. I'm sure others are better qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by OrignalRECIPE73 View Post
    Firstly what buffer's do you guys tend to run? I chose to start with a standard carbine spring and a Hahn 9mm Buffer.
    Is there a buffer variation weight like with 5.56? Yes. I've heard of people running H3 buffers to 12oz. buffers.
    Who makes a good 9mm barrel? I've seen a lot of ADCO and TROS (if you like to wait.) I chose to use a QC10 barrel mainly because of the features I wanted, 5.5", 1:10, 1/2"-28. We shall see if it was a good choice soon.
    Or does the mfg not matter all that much are they all going to perform relatively the same? Good components generally yield good results.
    Also who makes the better and or preferred magazines? For Colt style mags, Metalform is considered the best. Some mags are made by Metalform, but marked Colt, Brownells, PSA, etc. Uzi mags are a good option, but need modification.
    I am aiming more towards the colt style mag setup due to the fact that you have to modify bcg's if I go with a glock mag setup from what I've seen in previous posts. Glock style BCGs can be bought already modified or a non-Glock BCG can be modified. From what I've read, the modification isn't too difficult to do with a steady hand and a dremel. I'm not that brave to modify such an expensive part.
    Speaking of bcg's how is the yankee hill carrier in comparison to the CMMG carrier? I'm sure there are slight differences in the various BCGs made, but I chose the CMMG because they seem to be the most popular.
    One thing you'll notice, if you haven't already, is 9mm ARs are generally more expensive to build. I've got $1,100 in mine so far and I don't have a rail or sights yet. I could have gone cheaper on some parts, but I saved on some parts.
    This should get you started, but as always, the "Search" feature is your friend!
    As they say, Your Mileage May Vary.
    Last edited by halo2304; 03-08-15 at 03:17.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Heck ya they are more expensive. I thimk think i got about $1,800 in mine.

I'm still waiting on the ASA side charge 9mm upper and bolt. As far as buffer weight and spring i went with a qbuffer 9mm 8.5oz buffer and wolf heavy spring from heavy buffer.com . From info i found heavier buffer is better especially suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Been a few days and I've done some poking around, I'm starting to buy parts as we speak. Going with a Tros 5" barrel and I've ordered one. Gonna pick up a QC10 dedicated lower, and I'll more than likely be going with an H3 to start out with because I have one laying around the house and don't want to drop a ton of money on a custom buffer right off the bat. I'm gonna have a B5 sopmod setup, a unique AR-s flame rail or a seekins mcsr v2. Dont know what upper to go with, thinking vltor mur or the xproducts side charging handle. Should be a fun build
    "Meet success like a gentleman and disaster like a man."