Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak-5 Build on a donor FNC Receiver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Bad to the bone. FNC is neat enough in my book.

I have been chipping away at the unicorn list...FNC and HAC-7 are still on it.
    Now is a great time to pick up an FNC. They are still pretty reasonably priced. Best entry level 5.56mm transferable MG as well IMO. I would also like a HAC-7.

Feedback Score
    Sweet looking rifles.
    "Victory was in my hands... But I inserted it backwards."

FBHO!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Good news everyone! I've found an Ak-5 gas block with the flip up/down sights. On it's way to me soon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FeistyCrawfish View Post
    Been lurking on this website for a while, and figured it is high-time I contribute.

Anyways, I'm turning my FNC into an Ak-5. I had a parts kit and a few other parts sent in from Sweden, including a C-stock. Only pieces I have left now are the gas block and safety. Most of the internals have been replaced, along with the handguard retainer, grip (not pictured), and the finish (not pictured). W E Birdsong and Associates is refinishing the rifle in a matching green for the Ak-5 series currently in service in Sweden, and I'm working with a machinist to produce a lower receiver with a SCAR bolt catch and magazine release.

Updates will be coming soon!

Pictures:

Question:

Is that stock "right-handed" biased? That is to say, from the pics, that stock in the open position is biased or inline with the left side of the FNC's receiver, and NOT inline, but "indented" with the right side of the FNC's receiver. Does anyone know what I mean? Sorta like the Butler Creek Mini-14 or shotgun folding stock, where it is right cheek-biased, so the hinge mechanism allows the stock to fold flatly to the right side of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    THe stock is indeed right hand biased. It is angled for proficient cheek weld when using the iron sights, which sit low on the weapon (think AKM).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FeistyCrawfish View Post
    THe stock is indeed right hand biased. It is angled for proficient cheek weld when using the iron sights, which sit low on the weapon (think AKM).

I have always been fascinated by the Swedish version of the FNC. Perhaps it is the cool green color.

Was the original FN FNC's folding stock right-hand biased as well? Is the Swedish hinge mechanism reversible to be left-hand biased for a lefty?

Is there any way you can take a pic of your rifle from the top down to illustrate the extant of the right-hand bias of the Swedish stock?
    Last edited by G19A3; 03-12-15 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    G19A3, the stocks are not reversible. Once it gets back from being refinished I will take a photo for you.

As an update, my new parts are in! Some to use, some to sell:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Damn cool project, thanks for sharing.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Not sure where the unicorn part comes from, it's a heavy bit of kit to be hauling around!
    No throught about reprofiling the barrel and getting/machining the forward strap loop?

Looks like you have parts enough in that kit to make both the original and somewhat updated basic AK5 model with the 2 different stocks and more universal tools than what you could shake a stick at.
    From memory that AK5B cheek riser only fits the old style stock, lower one.

Feedback Score
    Double tap

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast