Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak-5 Build on a donor FNC Receiver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowFella View Post
    Not sure where the unicorn part comes from, it's a heavy bit of kit to be hauling around!
    No throught about reprofiling the barrel and getting/machining the forward strap loop?

Looks like you have parts enough in that kit to make both the original and somewhat updated basic AK5 model with the 2 different stocks and more universal tools than what you could shake a stick at.
    From memory that AK5B cheek riser only fits the old style stock, lower one.
    Heavy, but damn reliable. Plus, the weight is not really a problem for me (Do you even lift, bro? )

The relief cuts in the barrel actually help to reduce the weight, but if I wanted to do an original-profile barrel, I would have to have a custom one made, and that would cost beaucoup bucks.

I'm by no means going to be keeping everything there haha. I am waiting to get an Ak-5CF handguard. I can't wait for that one...
    I believe you are correct - the cheek riser fits the older A/B stock and the FNC stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FeistyCrawfish View Post
    (Do you even lift, bro? )
    Not much of late, though I did lift around the genuine Bofors article for some 18 months back in the distant mid 90's
    And you are right about damn reliable, other than some magazine related issues at the very start (can you believe they only issued us 2 during basic and 4 during deployment!) I never had a single malfunction with live ammo and a single hiccup with blanks.

Are those handguards green or black btw? If black then they could possibly not be AK5 but rather from CGA5/CGA5P, a police version that from memory was made in both regular barrel length and AK5D length.
    Last edited by SnowFella; 03-30-15 at 01:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Now this is a beautiful project! I had the rare pleasure to shoot a select fire AK5 clone (or as close as you can get to one) back in November of last year, and man, was it an unbelievable gun to shoot, especially on full-auto.

I distinctly remember the recoil being very mild and being able to easily control the rifle on full auto. It's one hell of a great rifle!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowFella View Post

Are those handguards green or black btw? If black then they could possibly not be AK5 but rather from CGA5/CGA5P, a police version that from memory was made in both regular barrel length and AK5D length.
    That's what I was thinking as well. But a bit of green cerakote and who cares.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Snowfella, 96 SS - It's green! Likely off an old A or B model.

Leftie - Thanks! I've fired the real deal and fell in love with it instantly. Heavy but who doesn't like a big girl every once in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update time

Feedback Score
    Amazing project OP. I have always been fascinated with the modern FNC variants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    Amazing project OP. I have always been fascinated with the modern FNC variants.
    Thanks man! They really are a sturdy and highly reliable family of rifles. The Pindad SS1 and SS2 are close seconds as far as my favorites go!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Basically where I stand at the moment. Just waiting on the modifications and paint job to the receivers to be finished:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The project is moving forward ladies and gentlemen. I have found a gunsmith who will be reprofiling the rear sight, installing the brass deflector, and refinishing the rifle. All in all, the only thing that will be different between this rifle and the Ak-5 is the safety.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast