Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA requirements for SBR caliber

Feedback Score

NFA requirements for SBR caliber

Quick question for you guys. I currently have an 11.5" AR in 5.56. It was built by me on an individual form one. I am interested in building a second SBR (this one on a trust) and I am leaning towards the 300 AAC BLACKOUT, not 100% sure though. When I fill out my form one this time, should I just fill in 300 BLK for the caliber or should I go with a caliber that I know will be around for a while like 5.56. I am aware of the fact that I can have multiple uppers for one lower, but I figure why not set up another?

My concern is we never know what the future holds. I do not want to have a receiver registered as a 300 BLK and find out the cartridge disappears in 5 yrs. If I register two lower receivers in 5.56 with one upper that I will always keep, I will always retain the ability to put them back in the configuration it was registered in. On the other hand, If I register one in 300 BLK and it disappears in a few years, Then I won't be able to sell the upper or reconfigure and get something else because I will no longer be able to put it in the config it was initially built in and if I wanted to change calibers it would require additional paperwork. This is mainly a result of ATF no longer accepting MULTI for caliber and barrel length.

This is a paperwork/legality question, not a this caliber vs. that.

Thanks
    ChrisM

Feedback Score
    There's no additional paperwork to change caliber or barrel/overall length down the road.

There's no legal requirement to be able to return it to the specs on the F1.

Doesn't matter how it's configured once it's initially made (a one time act).

As a side note, 300 Blackout is not a caliber, it's a cartridge. You simply put 300 in the field for caliber.

You can't submit "multi" because when you build a firearm, at the moment it's complete, it's a specific caliber and length.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 03-09-15 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    There's no additional paperwork to change caliber or barrel/overall length down the road.

There's no legal requirement to be able to return it to the specs on the F1.
    If you make a permanent change you SHOULD notify the ATF of the permanent change in writing so the data base is up to date.

If you decide to sell the SBR as an SBR on a Form 4 and what you submit doesnt match the Form 1 data that is in the system, the Form 4 will get kicked back. Example: if you Form 1 this gun as 300BLK(.30 or 300 or whatever the e-form has if you are going the e-form route) but sell the 300BLK upper and move to a 5.56 upper and later decide to sell the SBR on a Form 4 and you submit it as a 5.56 SBR, the Form 4 will get kicked back because the original Form 1 is for an SBR in .30. So I will agree with BigWaylon that there is no LEGAL requirement(SHOULD statements dont imply that you MUST do something, which is legal mumbo jumbo for you HAVE TO DO IT), in the event of a sale, the form will get kicked back because it doesnt match the database.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it sounds like this doesn't affect me too much then because I have no intentions of selling, and I doubt anyone would buy it with my trust info on it.

So just to confirm. The gun only has to be in its registered form at the time of creation, or when it is being sold. Otherwise an amendment to the paperwork should (not must) be changed.
    As usual I am probably over thinking this.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't even go as far as to say "should". The ATF recommends you notify them of permanent changes, because they can't require it. That doesn't even get into what the definition of permanent is, especially with an AR.

Any Form 4 could be accompanied by a letter to clarify the discrepancy. That's a non-issue. But, I'd say there are few F1 NFA items sold. With an SBR, you can sell the two parts separately without any ATF involvement, but I'd venture to guess most people would hang onto the lower, especially if it was engraved. It could be used with a 16" (or greater) barrel and simply be a GCA firearm that just happens to have your info engraved.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why people build SBR rifles around calibers that were not designed for it. 6.8 spc was designed for short barrel rifles.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hr00544 View Post
    I don't understand why people build SBR rifles around calibers that were not designed for it. 6.8 spc was designed for short barrel rifles.
    So was 300 blackout.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    5.56 sbrs seem to be pretty effective 10.5"+ so what calibers are you referring to?
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    I'd relate NCSTAR more to an incurable STD. Sure, you can get rid of the evidence that you ever owned it, but you will spend the rest of your life praying nobody finds out what you did (bought).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    So was 300 blackout.
    Was the blackout really developed for short barrel rifles or to be suprresed out of an M4? 5.56 short barrel rifles are effective, but to only cut down three inches plus $200 and lose some 300 fps? Not my cup of tea but hey do what you want short barrels no matter the caliber are a joy to shoot. If its for plinking and shooting cardboard it isn't as crucial.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm confused. First, BO was designed to use subsonic ammunition out of shorter barrels and provide better effects than 5.56 at 200ish and in. And if SBRs aren't your "cup of tea" then why are you even reading this thread much less posting in it?

Was the blackout really developed for short barrel rifles or to be suprresed out of an M4? 5.56 short barrel rifles are effective, but to only cut down three inches plus $200 and lose some 300 fps? Not my cup of tea but hey do what you want short barrels no matter the caliber are a joy to shoot. If its for plinking and shooting cardboard it isn't as crucial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast