Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFA requirements for SBR caliber

Feedback Score
    First let me say I appreciate all of the comments. Thank you all.
    Second I did not intend for this to turn into a debate on 300 BLK vs any other cartridge, or which is better for what purpose. But it seems to have turned into that and that is fine by me.

The purpose of this thread was to discuss how the form 1 should be filled out and whether or not there would be a negative outcome for the caliber or cartridge selected should there be a need to change permanently in the future. I think that I have gotten my answers and I really appreciate all those who commented. It seems as it really isn't a big deal to change the firearm to another config. so long as it matches the description at the time of the build.

thank you all
    Chris

Feedback Score
    That was my fault Chris sorry. Back to the form 1!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    OP, what makes you think .300 BLK is going to disappear? Build and register a .300 BLK lower. Who gives a shit. The round ain't going nowhere. And if you're really that worried about it start reloading your own ammo.

I have no idea what the future holds for this cartridge. I do not believe anyone does. How many cartridges have been created, even with a strong start, to only become very cost prohibitive to shoot and very difficult to obtain. It has been said in the past, ammo manufacturers are going to cater to the ammo that is there bread and butter and drop less popular cartridges especially in times like what we have seen in the past two years. Although this does not seem to be the case for .22lr. That shit sells faster than it can be made. If I were an ammo manufacturer I would def. ramp up production on .22lr.

And I do reload. I have been doing so for about 15 years. But I am not going to make my own brass.

I am willing to bet that most all of the people who bought into the .357 SIG, .400 COR-BON and the 45 GAP, hell even the 10mm, wish they would have went with a more mainstream cartridge. Like the 9mm, .40 S&W or .45ACP. They are tried and proven, have been around a while, and can be bought anywhere. Sure you can buy all of these other cartridges, but at what cost?

Once again thanks everybody for your comments

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hr00544 View Post
    That was my fault Chris sorry. Back to the form 1!!

Hey man. no worries. I said I didn't mind. I try to never miss an opportunity to learn something new. I can appreciate all discussion pertaining to the 300BLK before I make an investment in the cartridge.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    They'll take it on a paper form, or at least they did for me (submitted fall of '14). But EForms doesn't like it, which is why I gave that same advice early in the thread.

I can confirm.

My paper filed SBRs (Spring 2014), I used 300 blackout. On my efile ones I had to use 300 because "300 blackout" wasn't an option.

EDIT TO ADD: FWIW, I engraved all of mine "300 BLk" and used a 9" AAC upper as my SBR template. This is an upper I will never be selling (used as a truck pistol and HD SBR). Since I used all KAC SR-15 lowers, they also are engraved 5.56 (not that matters).
    Last edited by domestique; 03-11-15 at 04:09.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Good info on a first SBR build for sure. Thanks Chris for asking the original question on the form 1.
    And yes, the .300 sounds like the build I'll plan.
    3rd Generation Veteran, (USN) that has always fought for our 2nd amendment rights.
    Molen Labe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123