Thread: Civil Defense 9mm cycle a 9mm AR?

Feedback Score

Civil Defense 9mm cycle a 9mm AR?

the Liberty ammunition Civil Defense ammo line is a strange bird of a concept for a 9mm but it is also kind of interesting

directly from there website:

Copper, Monolithic, Hollow-Point Fragmenting, Personal Defense Round

Weight: 50gr

Velocity: >2000 FPS

Kinetic Energy: >450 FPE

Accuracy: <2″@50yds

Terminal Effect: >3 ½ “W x 12″ D

Rounds: 20 per box

I am wondering if you think this ammo is hot enough, because of the 50gr bullet, to properly cycle a standard 9mm AR bolt. I had some problems with cheap standard pressure 115gr stuff. I was thinking that maybe the +P aspect of this ammo might make it work. I know I know...what's the point of a super light 9mm traveling 2000fps. I understand all the negatives that come from this type of load. just wondering if you think it will cycle a 9mm AR with a standard 9MM AR buffer?

has you tried this ammo in anything at all?

what do you think?
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    the Liberty ammunition Civil Defense ammo line is a strange bird of a concept for a 9mm but it is also kind of interesting

directly from there website:

Copper, Monolithic, Hollow-Point Fragmenting, Personal Defense Round

Weight: 50gr

Velocity: >2000 FPS

Kinetic Energy: >450 FPE

Accuracy: <2″@50yds

Terminal Effect: >3 ½ “W x 12″ D

Rounds: 20 per box

I am wondering if you think this ammo is hot enough, because of the 50gr bullet, to properly cycle a standard 9mm AR bolt. I had some problems with cheap standard pressure 115gr stuff. I was thinking that maybe the +P aspect of this ammo might make it work. I know I know...what's the point of a super light 9mm traveling 2000fps. I understand all the negatives that come from this type of load. just wondering if you think it will cycle a 9mm AR with a standard 9MM AR buffer?

has you tried this ammo in anything at all?

what do you think?
    I've shot the 9mm load out of my CZ75B and it functions flawlessly. Extremely accurate and little recoil. Never in a 9mm AR. I've read that the velocity gains from a longer barrel for that particular load are minimal due to the powder used. You could always switch to a lighter buffer if the 9mm one doesn't work for you.