Thread: SPR-Inspired Build

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SPR-Inspired Build

This started off as a receiver that needed a good home, and evolved into a rifle I'm really happy with. I acquired the parts over a period of several months, with the intent of a SPR/DMR inspired rifle to hunt small game with and target shoot for fun at distances of 300-500 yards. I wanted to balance precision with utility, and I ended up amazed by how well everything fit together when I assembled the rifle. I've been looking forward to sharing this one, despite the tough crowd I know this place can be.

LOWER:
    -Spike's ST-15 Lower
    -CMC 2-stage trigger
    -H2 buffer
    -Magpul STR stock
    -Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
    -VTAC Padded 2-point rifle sling

UPPER:
    -Spike's M4 Flattop Upper
    -Daniel Defense 18" S2W mid-length gas 1:7 CHF barrel
    -BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 Compensator
    -BCM Bolt and Carrier
    -BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 medium charging handle
    -Geissele Mk. 2 13" supermod rail
    -Troy HK folding BUIS
    -Harris Bipod with GG&G quick-disconnect mount
    -Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MRAD Riflescope on LaRue LT-104 Mount

I also rattle-canned the upper, lower, and hand guard for a different look, and I'm surprisingly happy with how it turned out. I prepped all the surfaces and took my time. It started out as kind of a joke, but I ended up really liking the look, and it's gotten more compliments than I expected. I don't have any plans to change it. It's smooth, malfunction-free, and a better shooter than I am, so I'm very happy with it. I got the scope zeroed for 200 meters, and I'm excited about shooting farther.

LESSONS LEARNED:
    -Buy once, cry once. I got a generic LPK, and ended up replacing a few things almost immediately (Pistol grip, takedown pins, and trigger). None of the stuff I listened to recommendations on (Magpul, BCM, DD) has been an issue.
    -Rattle Can Rifles. I previously thought of spray paint as a "bubba mod", but I'm surprisingly happy with how my coatings turned out. I let the base coat cure completely and used a Krylon Matte overcoat to help protect the paint. It's obviously not gonna stay perfect, but it might be part of this rifle's charm. Maybe I'm just a bubba now
    -Proper tools. Having all the proper tools is critical, especially a vice, upper and lower blocks, barrel blocks and a reaction rod (!!!), an armorer's wrench, and a proper set of punches and drivers. My previous build I didn't have everything I needed, and it was a PITA. This build went together like a dream in comparison. It's been fun.
    -FFP scope. SO GLAD I DID MY RESEARCH. This scope is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and being able to stadiametrically range at any magnification is awesome!

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice build I took my 16" apart when I sbrd my lower and plan on putting a build similar to this together. I have the same scope on my 308 now and love the scope. would love to see some groups on this rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    I'd relate NCSTAR more to an incurable STD. Sure, you can get rid of the evidence that you ever owned it, but you will spend the rest of your life praying nobody finds out what you did (bought).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, my best group so far was about 1.5 MOA with 77gr CBC OTM ammo. That's pretty decent for me, but I think the rifle can do better. I'll post more results the next time I put some rounds downrange.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 03-11-15 at 23:43.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP, any reason that you went with a mid length gas on your 18 inch barrel, instead of rifle length gas? Just curious, as I am going to start something similar.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    OP, any reason that you went with a mid length gas on your 18 inch barrel, instead of rifle length gas? Just curious, as I am going to start something similar.

Much peace
    Jimmy
    I went with mid-length for no particularly good reason except that when I ordered the barrel I wanted from DD (18" S2W), I didn't see it offered in rifle-length. That said, DD did a very nice job with the barrel and it's a smooth shooter!

If you are looking at the S2W line, I think their 18" is offered with a rifle length gas system now. If I were starting this build today, that's what I would get.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Copy that

Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    This started off as a receiver that needed a good home, and evolved into a rifle I'm really happy with. I acquired the parts over a period of several months, with the intent of a SPR/DMR inspired rifle to hunt small game with and target shoot for fun at distances of 300-500 yards. I wanted to balance precision with utility, and I ended up amazed by how well everything fit together when I assembled the rifle. I've been looking forward to sharing this one, despite the tough crowd I know this place can be.

LOWER:
    -Spike's ST-15 Lower
    -CMC 2-stage trigger
    -H2 buffer
    -Magpul STR stock
    -Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
    -VTAC Padded 2-point rifle sling

UPPER:
    -Spike's M4 Flattop Upper
    -Daniel Defense 18" S2W mid-length gas 1:7 CHF barrel
    -BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 Compensator
    -BCM Bolt and Carrier
    -BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 medium charging handle
    -Geissele Mk. 2 13" supermod rail
    -Troy HK folding BUIS
    -Harris Bipod with GG&G quick-disconnect mount
    -Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MRAD Riflescope on LaRue LT-104 Mount

I also rattle-canned the upper, lower, and hand guard for a different look, and I'm surprisingly happy with how it turned out. I prepped all the surfaces and took my time. It started out as kind of a joke, but I ended up really liking the look, and it's gotten more compliments than I expected. I don't have any plans to change it. It's smooth, malfunction-free, and a better shooter than I am, so I'm very happy with it. I got the scope zeroed for 200 meters, and I'm excited about shooting farther.

LESSONS LEARNED:
    -Buy once, cry once. I got a generic LPK, and ended up replacing a few things almost immediately (Pistol grip, takedown pins, and trigger). None of the stuff I listened to recommendations on (Magpul, BCM, DD) has been an issue.
    -Rattle Can Rifles. I previously thought of spray paint as a "bubba mod", but I'm surprisingly happy with how my coatings turned out. I let the base coat cure completely and used a Krylon Matte overcoat to help protect the paint. It's obviously not gonna stay perfect, but it might be part of this rifle's charm. Maybe I'm just a bubba now
    -Proper tools. Having all the proper tools is critical, especially a vice, upper and lower blocks, barrel blocks and a reaction rod (!!!), an armorer's wrench, and a proper set of punches and drivers. My previous build I didn't have everything I needed, and it was a PITA. This build went together like a dream in comparison. It's been fun.
    -FFP scope. SO GLAD I DID MY RESEARCH. This scope is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and being able to stadiametrically range at any magnification is awesome!

Looks great! whats the total weight of that setup?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. Weights are via my digital bathroom scale, not exact:
    As pictured - 11 lbs
    Bipod removed - 9.6 lbs
    As pictured w/ loaded 30 round mag - 12.1 lbs

So far, I've just been shooting from prone with a 10 round PMAG, which puts the loaded operational weight around 11.5 lbs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle