Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Useful, Non-"Tacticool" Pants?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    my current favourite all-round pant for work and play is the Prana stretch zion pant which i got from REI:
    http://www.prana.com/stretch-zion-pant.html

it's comfortable, light weight, smart enough for office wear, and pretty durable so far. i have one pair i wear 3x a week for indoor rock climbing and i've scraped my knees and shins on abrasive climbing holds over the past year without damage to the material. it's got a stretch to it (hence the name) and is great for full range of motion. i liked my first khaki pair so much i bought two more - one in 'mud' which is good brownish colour, and one in charcoal which is a dark grey. i love the integral web belt - i don't have to wear a belt and can adjust it on the fly. i find myself wearing these more often than any of my other tactical pants. it's also a non-baggy pant, but not teenage-tight either. (WTF is up with young guys and skin-tight pants nowadays?)
    i have the exact same experience. i'm worried that the stretchy nature might mean they're not so durable, but haven't had any problems yet.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    i have the exact same experience. i'm worried that the stretchy nature might mean they're not so durable, but haven't had any problems yet.
    a stretchy fabric will 'give' when snagged or rubbed against something, whereas a non-stretchy fabric might tear. soft shells have proven to be pretty durable. with the prana pants, i'd be more concerned with the stitching failing after a while than the actual material.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just picked up a pair, MM is right these are extremely comfortable. They wear just like a pair of khakis except for the small cargo pocket. Even then it's so low profile it's not really noticeable. It blends in well with all the yuppies in town.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-20-15 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought some 5.11 pants when I was first getting into CCW. I never wear them. I wear Duluth trading pants and shorts in varying styles year round and they work great. Nobody has ever noticed because they blend in perfectly. I use Sticky Holsters for my Sig C3 or 938 and have leather pocket holsters for my Glocks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cctroupe11 View Post
    Guys, I'm curious what pants you are using. Throw out 5.11's or anything like that - I'm looking for a rugged, inconspicuous style of pant.

Right now, besides my jeans, I wear Mountain Khakis (only complaint is lack of pockets), and Columbia Silver Ridge cargos (only complaint is how thin material is). Trying to find best of both worlds.

Keep in mind, I'm a tall skinny guy, so I'm looking for pants that are cut less than baggy.

Thanks.
    Not really sure what your looking for, if you consider anything with cargo pockets tacticool, jeans/kakis come to mind. Take a look at UA, they are very nice, but same layout as 5.11 type, More comfortable and better fitting though, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.carhartt.com/products/car...ex-Pant-101560

anyone tried these? I wonder if carhartt does it again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I've always kind of been skeptical of Duluth's claims on the firehose. Based on responses here, I pulled the trigger and bought what will be the first of many pairs - they are good pants. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I've always kind of been skeptical of Duluth's claims on the firehose. Based on responses here, I pulled the trigger and bought what will be the first of many pairs - they are good pants. Thanks.
    How is the sizing? Are they "heavy" in terms of weight? Winter preferred or summer acceptable?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In middle Tennessee, casual blue jeans and work jeans are pretty standard, but normal cargo pants from Walmart blend in just fine. Though that might partially be from people being too dumb to notice any difference.

I also took some of the <$20 Wrangler khaki's when I went to work in Afghanistan for a year. They held up just as fine under more austere conditions as any twice the price pair of 5.11's that I took to Kuwait and Iraq for work before that.
    Moderation is for Canadians.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar03 View Post
    Vertx tactical pants may be what you are looking for. Cargo pockets are low-profile. Crotch isn't baggy like some 5.11s. Well made and functional with multiple color options and types. I wear the Original Tactical Pants during cooler months and the Phantom LT for hot temps.

+1 for this. Plus they now have pants that don't even have the cargo pockets, but still have the deep front and rear, plus the gusseted knee and crotch. I have several pairs of both kinds, and love them.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast