Thread: TEMPO on multiple threats

Feedback Score

TEMPO on multiple threats

Please send lessons learned WRT effectiveness of applying rythm vs double tap or non-stanard response to multiple threat targets within close proximity (CQB environment) of one another. I was "raised" to get kill shots on the threat as fast as I could accurately do so. This meant double taps- focal shift- dble tap...Is using a rythm - 1234... more effective at eliminating multiple threats? I believe it may be if individuals train to reduce splits between threats, however the skill gap for developing operators may result in a tragic real world lesson. Like to hear back thoughts supported by lessons learned during training and in an operational environment. Thank you

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Taking the shots as fast I could guarantee acceptable hits worked for me, and is what I teach.

Rhythm shooting is a method of training trigger/sights/recoil management.

Shooting blind pairs (the so-called by some "double-tap"), is not a path I recommend for real world stuff.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utah View Post
    I was "raised" to get kill shots on the threat as fast as I could accurately do so.
    Can you clarify this in regards to whatever training you have received and where it was from?

Feedback Score
    Negative. I would be grateful to hear your input on my primary post. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You've got to be ****ing kidding me. You come here and ask for advice and are rather vague with your posts. When asked for clarification you decline like you have some sort of secretive background. Let me tell you, if you had such background you damn sure wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for tactics. Get lost.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Dude, you gotta give more than that back to folks that come from a strong background if this is going to stay open.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Damn. Apologize for the ambiguity of the initial post. My intention is not to create a "secretive" nature I simply prefer to keep personal information somewhat protected. Let me try to clarify my post- about 12 yrs ago or so when I was a nug shooter conducting CQB it was ingrained by instructors/training mentors to get a minimum of 2 rounds on a threat target as quickly as possible. When multiple threats were in close proximity rythm was not addressed as much as multiple shots in the kill zone and continuing with the sector collapse (do the the same on all threat targets). In my personal training I train both rapid successvive rounds on threats with little focus on a rythm throughout the array of threats as well as train using a steady tempo to engage multiple threats. I use a protimer the measure which is quicker (rapid successive rounds or a sweet controlled tempo riding the recoil). What it comes down to for me is that if I am on the flat range and know there are threat targets on the line using a tempo is very effective, however when I run a cold hit in the house (paper targets) I fall back rapid shots on each threat target with no tempo between threats. Hope I didnt just compound the confusion. This forum has a great rep and I am aware of my position in the pecking order. I am asking what technique(s) others are using regarding shooting mutiple threats within close proximity during training- specifically CQB. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Shoot whatever seems like it needs bullets first and shoot it to the ground.
    Find next target, rinse and repeat.

I have military CQB Training (MOS 8154), combat tours in Mosul and Fallujah (03/04 respectively), tours training well known foreign special mission units, and a combat deployment to the UGV.
    My preferred method is based on this experience, and the failure of simply running pairs and hoping for the best.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As many bullets as needed into the biggest threat as fast as possible while maintaining a hit rate that isn't going to run you out of ammo before you run out of bad guys or expose you to more return fire than you can avoid.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not that I need to validate, but I have to agree with Dano. The biggest threat gets taken first. It's an extremely difficult task to train like that with standard targets, especially in a CQB environment.

I realize that you are really asking about technique and transitioning, but I don't think you can get to that until you get past threats. If you double-tap the biggest threat and then move on to the next one because that's what you're trained to do, what happens if you pulled one or both shots? What about if he just happens to be a BAMF, and he's still your biggest threat, but you're trying to take someone else down because that's how you train? In the end, you have to do what you have to do in order to walk away; no matter what technique or lack thereof.

DISCLAIMER: As you can see, I'm not subject matter expert, an industry pro, or even a senior member; and my gunfighting experience is probably a fraction of what some of these other guys have. But IMHO, I think the best technique is the one that ensures that you go home.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln