Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean carbon off your light?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks guys I used a alcohol wipe and it came right off I'll probably mask it off while training for now on

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another preventative method when at the range would be to fit a Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru scope cover. Just find the size that matches your light bezel. You can get cheap adhesive diffuser film and stick it to the inside of the flip up cover to make a throwy light into a floody one. If you want the throw, just flip up the cover.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-18-15 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Any window cleaner.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Another preventative method when at the range would be to fit a Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru scope cover. Just find the size that matches your light bezel. You can get cheap adhesive diffuser film and stick it to the inside of the flip up cover to make a throwy light into a floody one. If you want the throw, just flip up the cover.
    Seems to me that any WML close enough to build up carbon will also be close enough to melt plastic. That, and you'll still have to clean the carbon off the BC see thru cap to use it as you prescribe.

I'm just wondering if you've done this successfully yourself, or if you're just spitballing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    Seems to me that any WML close enough to build up carbon will also be close enough to melt plastic. That, and you'll still have to clean the carbon off the BC see thru cap to use it as you prescribe.

I'm just wondering if you've done this successfully yourself, or if you're just spitballing?
    I do have it on my light. I haven't tested it yet with it mounted. I will at the next range session and let you know how it fared. This idea was meant for people who want to keep carbon off the light during casual range fire, not mag dump situations. Sorry for any confusion.

The diffuser idea was a separate idea for a throwy light, but I guess it does look like it was all rolled into one. My bad.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-31-15 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I think I've used 725 cleaner from Slip 2000 before. Then a skim coat of Chap Stick while shooting and everything wipes right off. I always carry some kind of lip balm on me so it's easy to remember at the range.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    all these fancy tricks to clean the lens are a PITA. I tried most of them. I just coat my lenses in vaseline and it prevents the issue.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used some slip 2000 ewl last weekend and it worked great wiped right off thanks for all the info everyone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post

Ok, I finally got around to testing it out and I thought I would post on the results like I said I would. I didn't get to shoot more than two magazines through it because like a dumbass I forgot I put the rest of my ammo in another container and left it at home. Yeah, I know, I wasn't too thrilled myself.

There was no real buildup on the plastic lens that couldn't just be wiped off. No damage from the heat at all either. I didn't do a full mag dump, but with the last ten rounds, I fired them off as quick as I could get back on target.

The pic below shows how the light is oriented on the weapon. I will post again when I get to put a few hundred rounds through it for a more thorough test. The only problem I had is that this particular cover has a weak catch and will open sometimes during recoil. That can be fixed with a little modification though. So far so good.

In the case of the protective cover getting dirty and it hindering the beam, this would happen no matter what preventative or protective solution you use, so this would be the perfect reason to use this. When you actually need a clean beamshot, you flick open the "dirty" cover and the actual lens behind it is perfectly cleanand ready to go no matter how much shooting you did prior.

The blue tint is the cameras fault. This led has a nice warm tint.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-15-15 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    A preventive method would be the best method.

The thing is once you start rubbing away at carbon especially on glass you are abrading it. This means less light transmission down the road.

If anything getting any visible carbon off with a solution or washing it away first would be ideal.

I have a video on how I clean optics and can be applied to lights but obviously carbon can be much harder to remove than dust or mud - click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast