Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you clean carbon off your light?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    A preventive method would be the best method.

The thing is once you start rubbing away at carbon especially on glass you are abrading it. This means less light transmission down the road.

If anything getting any visible carbon off with a solution or washing it away first would be ideal.

I have a video on how I clean optics and can be applied to lights but obviously carbon can be much harder to remove than dust or mud - click here
    How many WMLs actually use glass?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My vote goes to chap stick. I put a thin film on there before shooting, and it wipes right off afterwards.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Clean existing carbon buildup off the lens with a cotton swab or Q-tip (but not a cotton ball) sprayed with WD-40. Then spray a little WD-40 on a clean swab and wipe the lens again leaving a slight film over the surface of the lens....repeat as needed.

I have used this method for years with great results and no negative issues.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Pencil eraser. Cheap. Works well.
    Yup, I use a #2 lead pencil eraser. Pure magic . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    How many WMLs actually use glass?
    Surefire uses Pyrex.

I'd be even more careful of plastic.

Feedback Score
    I cut an old rubber furniture leg tip/cap to size. Fits over light like a glove during day shoots when light is not needed. You can pick up caps at any home store from .75" to 2".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123