Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBR/AR Pistol backpack - muzzle up or down

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question... AR pistol concealed with a permit I understand but can you conceal an SBR? I guess technically a backpack is no different than a conventional case if the weapon is not loaded.
    This is my understanding as well. You must also make sure your "pistol" isn't an AOW. If I were to be concealing a loaded AR pistol, I'd play it safe by not installing an AFG or VFG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question... AR pistol concealed with a permit I understand but can you conceal an SBR? I guess technically a backpack is no different than a conventional case if the weapon is not loaded.
    Depends on the state. In my state SBR's can be concealed loaded. Muzzle up for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not something I carry everyday, but I do like to take a rifle hiking with me and this helps keep a level of discretion on well traveled trails...

Feedback Score
    Muzzel down so i could grab the buttstock, easier to grab. I have a rifle backpack but not an sbr but thats how i carry mine,
    Last edited by brettd1982; 03-19-15 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... pulling a carbean out buttstock first just seem to be less snag prone for me. The light bezzel and curve of the mag always bang or snag something.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Muzzle up assembled. Muzzle down, stock down broken down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I would personally want it oriented so I could grab it by the pistol grip to pull it out of the bag and prepare to use it. If that meant orienting it muzzle down, that's how I would carry it. I do the same thing with any case, lockbox, etc. I place the weapon so it's oriented in a manner that makes it easy to grab it by the pistol grip with my primary firing hand.

Dave
    +1

Put something on the bottom of the bag to cushion the muzzle and support the weight. On my B.O.B. I use a folded jeans/pants placed laterally on the bottom of the bag and put the gun muzzle down on that. It supports anything inside the bag and distributes the weight evenly.

Feedback Score
    Muzzle down. Two reasons;
    -pulling an assembled weapon toward you, barrel first, out of a bag is not a recipe for success
    -an assembled weapon, in a bag on your back, points at the back of your head.

Muzzle down, I can grip it properly and verify with my thumb that the safety is engaged before moving the weapon. To me, it's a no-brainer.

Muzzle down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SBR/AR Pistol backpack - muzzle up or down

Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Muzzle down. Two reasons;
    -pulling an assembled weapon toward you, barrel first, out of a bag is not a recipe for success
    -an assembled weapon, in a bag on your back, points at the back of your head.

Muzzle down, I can grip it properly and verify with my thumb that the safety is engaged before moving the weapon. To me, it's a no-brainer.

Muzzle down.
    I think it probably depends on the bag. I use a Kelty backpack with a drawstring opening. Mine is in muzzle up. When I remove it I pull it straight up and out. I hold it by the end of the handguard so I have more control of the muzzle than if I grabbed it by the stock or the grip. The way it rides in my bag, the muzzle is canted away from my head. If I had it muzzle down it would be pointed into my lower back and ass. Also I keep an empty chamber, so most of those are non-issues anyway. Obviously YMMV.

Feedback Score
    After carrying it for a week to and from my truck and on my motorcycle, Muzzle up for sure. the muzzle is never actually pointing at your head and it would be somewhat difficult to get it to point at your head because of the angle that the bag is at when it lays on my back. also when taking any gun out of anything you should never be pointing it at yourself to begin with regardless of the bag, container, holster.... Thats a pretty standard safety rule.

EDIT: and as many times as i am setting the bag down it makes it easier with the stock down.
    Last edited by U&A; 03-29-15 at 20:14.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12