Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relocation to arizona all comments welcome

Feedback Score

Relocation to arizona all comments welcome

The wife and I are planning to relocate to arizona in the next 12-18 months.
    I would appreciate any input on good places to live ( or avoid for that matter) jobs are not an issue as we both are head hunted regularly to work in the region.
    I understand the big markets so to speak are phoenix metro and tuscon. I am also open to any other area except in addition to escaping the yoke of oppression of New York my wife wants minimal to no winter and I am fine with that, so flagstaff and the northern high elevations are out.
    I understand sierra vista is an option as well. I welcome any guidance you can provide.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not from Arizona, but congratulations! I hope it works out well for you. It's nice to see people moving to free states.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sierra Vista is the asshole of the state IMO. Tucson isn't much better. If you're looking to be in the middle of things and in a nice area, Chandler and Gilbert are pretty good. There's also the higher income/cost areas like Scottsdale and Ahwatukee. All 4 are in the metro area. Or you could push out a bit to Surprise or Queen Creek and find some houses on a little bit of land.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sierra Vista should only be an option if you want to live on the border, and have military base privileges for shopping. As for Tucson, I know people who loved living there, but I think things have changed for the worst in the past few years. Increasing crime and border roll overs (vans full of people crossing the border for free medical, citizenship for their babies, etc) have made it less desirable. Not my direct experience, just that of a co worker who quit a six figure job to live some place better. The airport is limited, too. Often times it was quicker for me to fly to Phoenix and drive the 2ish hours from Sky Harbor than try to arrive/depart Tucson. Phoenix on the other hand has a major airport (if that matters). Traffic can be a nightmare if you commute during normal working hours but the rest of the time I can cross the city in 30 minutes or less. Scottsdale for sure if you can afford it, but as mentioned Gilbert and Chandler are nice places. Those three and parts of central Phoenix (near Camelback west of Scottsdale) would be on my short list if I were relocating there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks folks. I have been getting opinions from a bunch of other forums and most are saying the same things. I do get differing opinions on things of course. Please continue to give me any further info you have. Our last trip out we did meet up with some friends who relocated to scottsdale and it was rather nice, but you have to wonder about a community where the porche dealership is bigger than my hometown ford Chevy and dodge dealership combined!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Scottsdale sucks. I used to work up that way. I avoid going there at all costs. Abusive photo radar, etc. But I guess if you worked there, living there might make sense.

If you and your spouse can work and live on the same side of town, that's ideal. I go against rush hour both ways, and I watch suckers from the West Valley sit in traffic on their way into and of Phoenix every day. And if there's a wreck, forget it. Parking lot traffic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    congrats, do you have room for one more?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    Sierra Vista is the asshole of the state IMO.
    I would really like to hear the reasoning behind this. Sierra Vista is one of the towns I'm planning to visit in the next 12-18 months as a potential retirement location.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I thought Sierra Vista was where many of the Tucson Sector Boarder Patrol guys lived.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    OP, what kind of daily lifestyle would you and your wife like to live? What's your typical weekend activities? What's important to you? I've lived here for about 8 years now and I've learned that there are different facets to the Phoenix Metro area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast