Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser

Feedback Score

Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser

Picked this up at a gun show today. All matching and with a minty bore. These Yugos can still be found occasionally in great condition, and I'm kind of a sucker for old battle rifles.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    really nice, congratulations on a great find.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Picked this up at a gun show today. All matching and with a minty bore. These Yugos can still be found occasionally in great condition, and I'm kind of a sucker for old battle rifles.

The nice thing about those (If I remember correctly) is, that that's a full size 98 action...The more common M-48's are a "intermediate action" meaning that compared to a '98 the M-48's action is a 1/4" shorter.. So, few parts will interchange.. Even well after 100yrs since it's introduction, parts for a '98 Mauser are still easy to find.. Now go get some 8mm and take it to the range!
    Last edited by ralph; 03-23-15 at 09:39.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That's one of the nicest M24/47's I've seen! Very nice! I like old battle rifles too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    Yep great looking rifle! I have a K98 and two G98/40's . Great rifles! Love shooting them alot! Though 8x57mm milsurp is getting harder to find a at good price . Get some reloadable brass and load your own . I do a lot of cast bullet shooting with mine . Cheap and fun and just as effective . Just went milk jug hunting the other week at 200 plus yards with my cast 205gr NEI's ! So much fun watching them blow up with a cast bullet I made.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Welcome to the club. Mausers are beautiful rifles and everyone should own one, two, three, ......

I own two M24/47 rifles, one with a pitted bore and another with a like new barrel. The one with the like new barrel looks like yours. I use the one with the pitted barrel to shoot corrosive ball ammunition and the one with the good bore to shoot reloads. I use them to compete locally at club offhand 50 meter matches and they are fun to shoot.

As gunnutAF pointed out, reasonably priced milsurp ball ammunition is getting hard to find. If you can't locate boxer primed brass for reloading, you can resize and trim 30-06 brass. If you want a cast bullet target load that recoils like a .22 Magnum, PM me. It's not a tack driving load, but you can break clay birds at 100 yards with it.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your M24/47?

That is one sharp looking rifle.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-24-15 at 08:37.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I have three 98 Mausers.

A Czech VZ-24, a German WWII K-98 and a Columbian long rifle in 30-96. All are good shooters.

(although the Swedish M96 Mausers I have will all easily out-group the 98s from the 100yd bench)

There is some really good 8mm ammo out there made by S&B and Privi Partisan in Serbia. Every now and then you will get lucky and find some of the early 70s Yugo surplus 8mm but it is not easy to find and not nearly as cheap as it used to be.

I really like Privi Partisan's 8x57 loads. They are very close to original specs.

Stay away from 8mm Mauser from the US big 3 makers - it is underloaded with smaller diameter bullets and awful.

I still have a few cases left of Turkish and Yugoslavian 8mm surplus. Wish I had bought more when it was cheap and everywhere. At one time it was cheaper than 7.62x39!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Welcome to the club. Mausers are beautiful rifles and everyone should own one, two, three, ......

I own two M24/47 rifles, one with a pitted bore and another with a like new barrel. The one with the like new barrel looks like yours. I use the one with the pitted barrel to shoot corrosive ball ammunition and the one with the good bore to shoot reloads. I use them to compete locally at club offhand 50 meter matches and they are fun to shoot.

As gunnutAF pointed out, reasonably priced milsurp ball ammunition is getting hard to find. If you can't locate boxer primed brass for reloading, you can resize and trim 30-06 brass. If you want a cast bullet target load that recoils like a .22 Magnum, PM me. It's not a tack driving load, but you can break clay birds at 100 yards with it.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your M24/47?

That is one sharp looking rifle.

This was $275 OTD.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At $275 you did not get hurt at all. I paid $300 for one with a like new barrel and accessories. I bought it from a friend's estate, so the widow could pay bills.

A 24/47 with a rough bore brings $200-$230 in my area and I think it is worth the extra money to get a shooter with a nice barrel.

Yugo ball has been the most accurate military round I have fired. Naturally reloads do a bit better.

I am glad you found the rifle and not me. Buying Mausers is getting to be a habit.
    Last edited by T2C; 03-28-15 at 19:26.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    T2C

Nah I usually convert .270 brass to 8x57! As I have no use for such a cartridge! Although it takes two steps first to '06 then trim then, run through the 8x57mm die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast