Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird discoloration on BCG after shooting suppressed, result of high temps?

Feedback Score

Weird discoloration on BCG after shooting suppressed, result of high temps?

Hey folks,

I'm a bit of a suppressor newb, perhaps only 500 rounds suppressed fire or so since I picked up my first two cans last October, and am wondering what the discoloration all over my BCG is in these pictures.

This is after about 120 rounds of Tula shot through a Saker 7.62 with a 5.56 endcap on a pinned 14.5 middy, stock gas, with Springco red spring and H buffer. I was shooting a moderate rate of fire. The BCG is a SAA nickel boron unit, and was heavily lubed with FireClean the whole session.

So would the high temps and blow back cause this weird, powdery feeling discoloration? I can't decide if it's from the heat drying out the metal that badly, or is the heat wearing through the nickle boron in parts.

On the inside of the BSG the discoloration seems to leave a powderish residue on my fingers, metallic feeling like. I have also seen this type of discoloration on my brake a day or two after shooting suppressed, even after coating it with FireClean.

Ideas?

Last edited by Cunnalinguist; 03-21-15 at 21:55.
    Invest in tangible goods. Beans, bullets, band-aids, family. These items are what will count in the near future. Remember that your 401k, brokerage account, etc. are nothing but numbers on a screen. Think about it. Numbers. On. A. Screen.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    is this before or after cleaning it? if all that comes off, it's not 'discoloration'.

Feedback Score
    ^this, probably burnt lube and powder on the carrier. It will look different on a silver base than black (you'll see the true color more). NIB may turn black over time due to carbon adsorption.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the same can and have had the same thing happen on my 300 BLK SBR, which is an AAC and also has a Nib carrier. I was a little worried until I cleaned it and it came right off. I wouldn't worry about it much...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's the Tula. once you get it clean, shoot some brass cased through it, it will not stain like that.
    Last edited by Shiz; 03-22-15 at 01:29.

Feedback Score
    This is before cleaning. The discoloration cleaned up a bit but not totally.

Thanks for the help, guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't baking through the finish somehow.
    Invest in tangible goods. Beans, bullets, band-aids, family. These items are what will count in the near future. Remember that your 401k, brokerage account, etc. are nothing but numbers on a screen. Think about it. Numbers. On. A. Screen.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You're not gonna hurt the nib coating.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'm curious as to why Tula would be the cause of this. The carbon appearance is normal for most NiB that I see.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I've shot Tula before un-suppressed with this same carrier, and didn't have this happen. This is the first time shooting a can on this rifle.

Feedback Score
    There are additives in smokeless powder such as calcium carbonate and nitrocellulose that may be depositing out
    Due to increased blowback when shooting suppressed mode. Are you seeing the white deposit in the upper too?
    The deposits should clean off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast