Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of going back to a 7.5" 5.56 (from .300blk)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talk me out of going back to a 7.5" 5.56 (from .300blk)

Quote Originally Posted by bighawk View Post
    I have read a ton of threads and opinions on the 7.5" 556 barrel but I have a 7.5" pistol as a truck/backpack gun and it is THE SHIT! Personally I love the 7.5" 556 guns but I have different guns for different things and I know what they will be used for. This one is most likely never going to be shot at over 50-75 yards and I know its limits.

I have not had one single issue in my range trips. I've got approx 300 rounds of Hornady TAP FPD and another 200 of various types of 223/556 ammo through it without a single problem. I zeroed my aimpoint at 50 yards and shot a few 3 shot groups. All of those groups were sub 1" and 2 of them had all 3 rounds touching which is WAY better than I expected.

I highly recommend the Rainier select barrel if you're not dead set on the Faxon barrel. It has been flawless so far! It is about $210 but well worth it.
    What sort of comp to you have on it? I think when going shorter than a 10.3 this plays the greatest factor in reliability on such short guns. The only way I would do a build like the is with a linear comp such as a Noveske KX3, KX5 or a suppressor.
    Just something to increase the back pressure into the receiver to help the function of the gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the affordability of ammunition is the issue then I'd suggest just dropping a few hundred bucks on a similar upper to your .300blk, but in 5.56. Training with a similar platform is a big plus. The biggest cost of any firearm is the ammunition - unless you're into safe queens.

If it's really a truck/HD gun, isn't it important for you to have an optimal caliber in that pistol?

In other news: I think OP is messing with us. Cheapest 5.56 on the internet right now is here.

Feedback Score
    Me and a lot of friends went in on a bulk order of steel case.

As for using the 5.56 for self defense I would not want to as .300 is optimal for that. But I'd rather be shooting it and not picturing myself throwing $20's down range in perfectly shaped balls of paper. I'd lose out on a self defense weapon for a little while but I'll be able to train with it more and shoot it more in general.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It seems to me like you've already answered your own question. Were you planning to keep the .300blk upper and build a new, separate upper for 5.56, or just a barrel/parts swap for 5.56?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post

As for using the 5.56 for self defense I would not want to as .300 is optimal for that. But I'd rather be shooting it and not picturing myself throwing $20's down range in perfectly shaped balls of paper. I'd lose out on a self defense weapon for a little while but I'll be able to train with it more and shoot it more in general.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Talk me out of going back to a 7.5" 5.56 (from .300blk)

Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    What sort of comp to you have on it? I think when going shorter than a 10.3 this plays the greatest factor in reliability on such short guns. The only way I would do a build like the is with a linear comp such as a Noveske KX3, KX5 or a suppressor.
    Just something to increase the back pressure into the receiver to help the function of the gun.
    It has the Noveske KX5 on the end. It is insanely awesome. Really directs the blast forward. I run it with a standard carbine spring and H2 buffer and it functions flawlessly. Rainier recommends an H buffer with their 7.5 barrel but I figured with the extra back pressure the KX5 is supposed to create I'd try it with the H2 and it worked great. Have a 9 inch rail so the KX5 pokes out the front about 1.25 inches. It looks pretty cool too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bighawk; 03-22-15 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think the bad guys will know the difference between .300 & 5.56. In my eyes training would trump any ballistic advantages.

Feedback Score
    I think I'm going to end up keeping my 8" .300 as is since its been dead nuts reliable (enough for me to carry with me) and build a second upper already since I have a 7" KMR on the way and train with that. It will be lighter for sure but that is fine with me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good choice. I enjoy running a 14.5" Mega Maten (keymod) but the ammo is around .50 a shot. I built near-identical 14.5" Mega ar15 keymod for shooting on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    7.5" 5.56
    ar pistol.
    truck gun
    truck/backpack gun and it is THE SHIT!
    likely never going to be shot at over 50-75 yards
    I have not had one single issue in... 300 rounds ...(plus) another 200

BINGO!

What do I win?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    BINGO!

What do I win?

Now I want to make a AR fud bingo card. Genius.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast