Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.5" SBR Build

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)

12.5" SBR Build

I'm in the process of putting together a 12.5" gun to replace the one that I regret selling some time ago. I have all of the components together except for the rail. I am using a Ballistic Advantage 12.5" barrel and want to put the longest rail that I can use on it and still be able to mount a Silencerco Saker K via the direct thread adapter or a Trifecta FH. I am wanting to use a 12" MI SSM M-Lok Rail, but fear that I won't be able to mount my can either by direct thread or on the Saker Trifecta FH. Am I sh** out of luck here and should just get the 10.5" SSM or would I still have the clearance with the 12" rail?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have no direct experience with the combo you're talking about. But from what I've seen, read and the advice I've been given the rail needs to be 3/4" shorter than the barrel. So you'd need an 11 3/4" rail. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my ssm mlok rails. Make sure and shoot MI a email or dig around for lengths. It's pretty rare that the length is exactly the length they advertise and for some reason I seem to recall these rails being +/- either way depending on the one you select. Could be important when getting as close as you want.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    EDIT, found this on M4C: The MI-SSK-12 weighs 8.5oz WITH the barrel nut, actual length is 12.625", OD is 1.5", ID is 1.3".

Usually the "carbine" rail and "midlength" rail are longer than advertised.

I bought a 9" SSK for a 9" AAC barrel and I knew it would have to be cut, the carbine 9" rail is actually 9.25". Didn't turn out too bad, although I don't have the can to do a final fit check. Worst case I will make a straight cut.

FWIW - SLR said they would make me one of their rails to any length I wanted. I was going to do the Solo Lite, but decided on the cheaper used MI-SSK and cut it.

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 03-23-15 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I ordered the 10.5" rail. Thanks for the reply everyone.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Just curious how this turned out. I'm looking at doing a 12.5 barrel with my MI SSK12. Based on the pics by Rayrevolver, it looks like the 9" MI SSK rail( I know that it is actually 9.25") is equal to the 9" barrel. Looks like the 12" MI SSK rail would fit the 12.5" barrel in question with .5" left over.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The 12" rail is actually 12 5/8" long, so it is too long for a 12/12.5" build if you plan on using a suppressor, which I am. The SSM/SSK is a great rail and has a lot of things I like, but I am going to be replacing it with a 10.75" M-Lok URX4 when they become available in the very near future.

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    He said the MI SSK was 12.65". I would just get an SLR in 11.5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Gotcha. Thanks for the reply/info. I was hoping that since a 9+" rail was about the same length as a 9" barrel that the 12" would leave .5" on a 12.5" barrel. Thanks again.

-Dave

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I've been looking for a rail for a 12.5 build and the best I've found length wise was the 11.5" SLR solo. Esp if you want mlok.

Would love if Geissele would do an 11" mk8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast