Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Body Armor?

Feedback Score

Which Body Armor?

This is my first post on this forum. I’ve been looking at taking a tactical carbine class and need to purchase body armor for the class. It’s been looking for a reason to purchase some and this is a great excuse! Pat Roger’s classes call for a level IIIA vest with level 4 plates. Which brands would you all recommend and which vendors? Thanks for any and all advice.

Feedback Score
    How about this line of thought.

Get what suits YOUR day to day needs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STeed
    This is my first post on this forum. I’ve been looking at taking a tactical carbine class and need to purchase body armor for the class. It’s been looking for a reason to purchase some and this is a great excuse! Pat Roger’s classes call for a level IIIA vest with level 4 plates. Which brands would you all recommend and which vendors? Thanks for any and all advice.
    Far be it for me to tell someone not to buy gear...
    Howevercomma i require armor only for those classes where there are more than two people inside the shoothouse- that is, the 5 Day Classes in WV.
    I require hard and soft armor. By hard armor we mean rifle plates, and whether stand alone or in conjunction, soft armor with it.
    The reason for the armor should be apparent- two man teams in the shoot house mean that everyone has to be very switched on. And, as many receive their initial tactics training from watching TV/ movies or playing computer games, they will often forget their real deal training and lapse into fantasy world.
    If i'm going to err, it will be on the side of safety.

You need to be able to shop carefully and wisely for armor, as what you think/ what is advertised may not be what is useful.

Feedback Score
    Pat, I absolutely agree that wearing armor does make sense. It also mirrors a real world situation because if anyone was in an urban house clearing scenario they would be wearing armor.

I work in a secondary federal law enforcement position so I’m issued armor when needed. As a result I don’t have any of my own. Is it generally better to get a plate carrier like a CIRAS and add stand alone plates or level IIIA soft body armor and add level IV plates?

Feedback Score
    A CIRAS isn't a plate carrier. The CIRAS is an integrated soft/hard armor releasable package. It has a fair amount of real estate.
    A plate carrier is a plate carrier, and while one can be had with soft armor built in, the reduction is coverage is pretty severe. It has limited real estate.
    The Eagle PC/ cummerbund is a pretty slick unit.
    Stand alone plates are pretty specific items and my preference is soft armor with in conjunction plates for general use.
    Note that i recommend Level 3 Plates, as they are multi strike. There are some Level 4 plates that are multi strike but very expensive- the majority of L4 are single strike.

Feedback Score
    As I am too old and crotchety to play the latest incarnation of Ghost Recon on whatever do jour game console, I opt to shoot the real stuff.

That being said, what I said earlier still holds true, get what suits your Day to Day needs. If your need dictate getting a fuller coverage BALCS cut releasable armor setup, then do consider the CIRAS. HOWEVER, bear in mind that this choice will impart a penalty with regards to constriction of range of motion.

NOW, having stated that you are a " federal law enforcement position", does the day to day duties require the wear of concealable armor? What rating? Perhaps a dedicated Plate Carrier (Eagle w/cummerbund) with L IV Ceramic Protection Triple Curve plates will fit the bill, as it could be used ICW your daily wear vest.

That being said, I also believe that you should train with your duty kit whenever possible rather than buying a new setup for a particular class; if you do, make sure that you have enough experience with the rig prior to attendance.

Egg

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. At work we are issued soft IIIA body armor when needed. They are really plain and don’t have any load bearing features. I was just uncertain how the CIRAS worked. I gave Eagle a call and they were really helpful. Thanks Again - Stephen

Feedback Score
    bear in mind the CIRAS is an OUTERVEST, exclusive of concealable armor

the soft armor inserts are pattern after the SOCOM BALCS armor which are cut for coverage vice concealbility.

If you run the plate carrier, you add the hard armor capability when needed, plus with the eagle, you can run soft inserts inside the commerbund panels thus increase your level of side protection.

ALWAYS wear softarmor underneath a platecarrier (to mitigate blunt force trauma and spalling)

if you do go the route of the EPC, I would suggest replacing the 550 cord lacing with 3/16 bungee cord as it makes for a more fleixble and ROM friendly platform.

EGG

Feedback Score
    No, the armor in the CIRAS vest is not "pattern (sic) after the SOCOM BALCS armor".
    It was made for that armor. Ergo, MC CIRAS, RLCS et al.
    That particular armor combo was made to enhance user ability to fight. Not sure where your getting your information from.
    However, i know where i do...

Feedback Score
    Ergo...

CIRAS was designed to accommodate BALCS cut soft panels.

...and provide a viable option than the less than optimal issue BALCS covers, while providing a releasable load carrying platform.

**If your need dictate getting a fuller coverage BALCS cut releasable armor setup, then do consider the CIRAS. HOWEVER, bear in mind that this choice will impart a penalty with regards to constriction of range of motion.**

Enhancing? yes if you are one of HSLD types, whose need dictate an integrated releasable armor/load carrying package. If someone is not one of the above or trains to this standard, then the 'enhancing' benefit becomes suspect.

Pat, I do not understand where/why you are getting wound up? In the end, STeed has received some opinions on what to acquire or consider prior to acquisition. If you feel this needs to be further discussed, I would be more than happy to entertain a phone call and frank discussion on gear and conceptual usage.

Best
    Darrin (eggroll)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast