Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saker 556 or Saker K for SBR?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Saker 556 or Saker K for SBR?

I'm trying to make an informed decision on a 556 suppressor for my 11.5" SBR. I have a AAC SDN-6 that I put on the gun, but would like a dedicated 556 can that is a bit shorter and lighter... I'm trying to get some user feedback or opinion on whether or not the K's weight and length savings are worth while over the standard Saker or if just going to the Saker alone would make more sense. I do have other 14.5 and 16" guns that the suppressor will be used on as well, but it will always be on the SBR when I use that gun.
    I know the realities of suppressing a SBR in 556, but before I spend the money to buy a can that I will have forever, I want to spend my money right.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I dont have either but I did recently look hard at those two specific supressors for my 11.5 an 14.5 rifles that also share an sdn-6. Of those two I would pick the K because youre saving about an inch in length and a few ounces at the end of your gun and youre only sacrificing 2 maybe 3db, according to Silencerco's site.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Cmm46, thanks for your input. I was leaning towards the K as well, but didn't want to sell myself short, no pun intended, by going with a can that did a lot worse job suppressing.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Some of the suppressor gurus can chime in on this topic, but I personally wouldn't use a mini-length can on barrels under 14.5". I've shot a 10.5 with a socom rc mini and other than reducing the concussion, it didn't do much compared to a full size can.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Same here. My full size 7.62 Saker with a 5.56 endcap is noticeably quieter than my Gemtech G5 on my 10.3". I think the Saker is I think is only .5 -1" longer but it does make a difference. I'd get the full length 5.56. You need to save every DB you can get on short barrel 5.56 guns.
    Last edited by Cunnalinguist; 03-25-15 at 21:17.
    Invest in tangible goods. Beans, bullets, band-aids, family. These items are what will count in the near future. Remember that your 401k, brokerage account, etc. are nothing but numbers on a screen. Think about it. Numbers. On. A. Screen.

Feedback Score
    Is shorter and lighter your priority or maximum DB redux? The answer will take you down 2 separate roads.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Is shorter and lighter your priority or maximum DB redux? The answer will take you down 2 separate roads.
    Nailed it. The K model MAY be hearing safe on an 11.5 depending on your ammunition but I wouldn't bet money on it. I run a full size Saker on a 14.5" barrel and am considering a K model later this year but I honestly don't feel that I'm burdened by the larger suppressor on the long(er) barrel.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Not to complicate your decision any further, but my current favorite setup is the Omega with direct thread mount and flat 5.56 front cap. It's super light with great dB reduction. Personally, I would at least throw that into the mix before making a decision.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Dang it Nick! I hadn't really given the Omega a look but I guess I should... On a 11.5" gun with factory 556 ammo, how would the Omega as you described stack up against the Saker 556? Also, any concerns at all will the direct mounting backing off when shot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    This. I tried a full-size socom, and a socom mini before deciding on a mini for my 11.5. Suppressed center fire rifles are still loud, and I felt the size and weight advantage more than made up for the minor increase in volume. Also, make no mistake, there is a HUGE difference between shooting unsuppressed and with a mini.

After shooting suppressed ARs with several different cans, I don't think I'd want a full-size can on anything other than maybe a precision rig. This is personal preference, though, as for my personal use, size/weight trumps maximum suppression. Your needs may be completely different, though, and you'll likely be happy with either choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast