Thread: Serious misinformation regarding FBI protocol - Lehigh Defense .380

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Serious misinformation regarding FBI protocol - Lehigh Defense .380

I'm sure more than a few people have caught this video posted by MAC over the past few days. I know MAC is a member here so I'll refrain from too much of a scathing review but the video is rife with misinformation regarding FBI protocol and IWBA standards. More than once excessive penetration was deemed ideal due to the FBI requiring "a minimum of 18" of penetration in gelatin", and unfortunately I think people are eating it up and taking it for gospel.

Lehigh Defense - The best .380 carry round?

Here was my response, that thus far has not been responded to:

To keep things in perspective the FBI states that penetration BETWEEN 12 and 18 inches in calibrated ordnance gel is ideal. Anything over 18" of penetration from a handgun bullet isn't necessarily failing the test, but is exceeding the penetration maximums for that particular standard. Also, to test this particular bullet to IWBA standards using the 4LD test isn't necessary and doesn't support a conclusion that this bullet is within ideal performance parameters for either the FBI standards or IWBA standards. The bullet is not a hollow point, obviously, and therefor does not have a cavity that can fail to initiate expansion due to clogging from heavy clothing. Judging from the tests conducted this round has the penetration to reach vital organs of course, but is no more ideal than jacketed round nose bullets in the same caliber.
    I'd like to get everyone's take on this, and also give MAC a chance to respond if possible. Again I'm not trying to be overly critical but a lot of your information is pretty far from truth.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree. I also thought his assessment of the wound channel was poor.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You are correct. Tnoutdoors9 did a more balanced review this week.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    You are correct. Tnoutdoors9 did a more balanced review this week.
    I don't spend much time on Youtube and had forgotten about him.

I reviewed several of the .380 tests done by Tnoutdoors9 and I thought the Speer Gold Dot round looked like a decent round.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I don't spend much time on Youtube and had forgotten about him.

I reviewed several of the .380 tests done by Tnoutdoors9 and I thought the Speer Gold Dot round looked like a decent round.
    I never unsubscribed from him, but after his little health stint last year he indicated he would no longer produce videos. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. Albeit at a lower volume.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've never seen a video from MAC but it was alright. Maybe he misspoke or maybe he's just a guy who only cares about penetration, penetration, and more penetration. Especially with a small caliber like the .380, some just value a lot of penetration. Unnecessary, yes, but different strokes…

Shooting the bull, did a video for the Lehigh .380 XP that showed this bullet fair in much better light. Especially made a point to show how well the bullet cut the gel all the way through its path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw

I saw this video a while back, and I find his tests top notch, so I bought a couple boxes of it to carry in my Glock 42. It appears to be "better" than standard FMJ so I'll use it.