Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal question about a weapon light

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is interesting. I don't know what to say to someone who worries more about a brandishing charge than the possibility of shooting their wife.

I'm thinking HD here.

Even still, I have trouble imagining how this is a practical concern.
    Last edited by Leuthas; 03-28-15 at 02:45.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Weapon mounted lights are legally acceptable since you are going to need to see, or discriminate rather, what your target is.

In an HD situation, if you are clearing your house with a weapon mounted light and you sweep someone that's not supposed to be there, thats reasonable and perfectly legal. If you are walking your dog outside and using your gun light for a flashlight, not reasonable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    But if one points it at a target that turns out to not be a threat does that pose a legal issue?
    If you mean in "as another person" that turns out not to be a threat, then possibly yes. You may want to check into your local or state laws concerning weapons handling. In WI, the firearm can be loaded or unloaded, and you could be charged with negligent handling of a firearm endangering the safety of others, which is a misdemeanor. The firearm will also be taken and destroyed as it was involved in the act of a crime. It does not matter if your actions were intentional or unintentional. If the person you are pointing at believes your intentions could cause them harm, and calls law enforcement personnel you may be arrested, or subpoenaed to court to account for your actions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess I could see a potential problem if you're a person so on edge that you're pointing your gun at every shadow, noise, or person you encounter in the dark. If I'm in my home, it's only my wife and I, so I'm not concerned in that instance. If I'm out in a CCW situation there are many factors that would determine whether I pull my weapon or not. Situational awareness, environment, instincts, and voice commands will all play a factor in determining a potential threat to me. As mentioned different states have different laws. I imagine though if you can reasonably articulate why you thought the situation you were in warranted pointing your gun and illuminating a potential target, you most likely won't end up in jail.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSnipah View Post
    This discussion is why I have a hand held light and no pistol mounted light.
    This discussion is why I carry a handheld light in addition to a weapon mounted one.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryOperated View Post
    If you mean in "as another person" that turns out not to be a threat, then possibly yes. You may want to check into your local or state laws concerning weapons handling. In WI, the firearm can be loaded or unloaded, and you could be charged with negligent handling of a firearm endangering the safety of others, which is a misdemeanor. The firearm will also be taken and destroyed as it was involved in the act of a crime. It does not matter if your actions were intentional or unintentional. If the person you are pointing at believes your intentions could cause them harm, and calls law enforcement personnel you may be arrested, or subpoenaed to court to account for your actions.
    A possibility, but if your actions are based on your reasonable belief that you were in danger you can claim self defense under WI's self defense statute (939.48). Depending on a number of factors, this could play out in court, or wherever the incident took place. And that can determine how long it takes to get your gun back.

From legis.wi.gov (State Legislature's online annotated statutes), searched under "intentionally pointing":
    Although intentionally pointing a firearm at another constitutes a violation of s. 941.20, under sub. (1) a person is privileged to point a gun at another person in self-defense if the person reasonably believes that the threat of force is necessary to prevent or terminate what he or she reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference. State v. Watkins, 2002 WI 101, 255 Wis. 2d 265, 647 N.W.2d 244, 00-0064.
    -from statute 939.48 Self Defense
    Last edited by Chameleox; 03-28-15 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    This discussion is why I carry a handheld light in addition to a weapon mounted one.
    Sounds Perfectly reasonable to this Cat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree and do as well. The OP was based around a WL only scenario, so that's what my thought process is based on.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I agree and do as well. The OP was based around a WL only scenario, so that's what my thought process is based on.
    I think your earlier post was excellent.

I suppose my earlier post should read that, if I'm carrying a weapon mounted light, I carry a handheld one, too. No wml, I'm still carrying a handheld.
    Last edited by Chameleox; 03-28-15 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think your earlier post was excellent.

I suppose my earlier post should read that, if I'm carrying a weapon mounted light, I carry a handheld one, too. No wml, I'm still carrying a handheld.
    Thanks. I should also say I don't always carry a handheld, but I do always have a WML.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast