Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legal question about a weapon light

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It is a Weapon Light. Not a flashlight. You should have both. They serve different purposes. If there is something to investigate in my house it isn't time for a flashlight, shoes or ear pro. It is time for my pistol and a weapon light.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    It is a Weapon Light. Not a flashlight. You should have both. They serve different purposes. If there is something to investigate in my house it isn't time for a flashlight, shoes or ear pro. It is time for my pistol and a weapon light.
    Because it's such an important point, it's a weapon light NOT a flashlight.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    You have stumbled onto one of the major criticisms of a weapon mounted light - that in many instances you are pointing a loaded gun at something you do not wish to destroy. That is a different problem for another thread.

For your problem, get a light bright enough they cannot see it is attached to the gun!
    At night, that's really any light. A friend and I went camping the other night, and were out foraging for firewood at night. We split up, and when grouping up again, shined our lights (handheld of course) at each other to test the theory, as it were, of "blinding someone with your light". Each of us reported only seeing a light and brilliant halo. Unless they have a light, too, you're going to show them a light and nothing else, basically, if no ambient light is present. Beware though, lights attract bullets.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDSTactical View Post
    In 2008 I had what I thought to be a residential break in at my home in Vista, CA. At app. 0200 I heard noises in my hallway and observed someone run past my bedroom door toward my sons room. I knew it was not my wife as she was in bed next to me. I grabbed my M9 with Streamlight TLR1 on it and advised my wife to get behind the bed and call 911. When I got to my sons room (he was still in a crib at that time), I found the door locked and could hear someone inside the room. I announced myself and told the person they had one chance only to open the door (I honestly cant remember exactly what I said, but there was no response). I kicked open the door and found my brother-in-laws best friend curled up on the floor. He had been out with my brother-in-law, gotten drunk and wondered in to the wrong house (we lived in a duplex).
    I can tell you in no uncertain terms that if my weapon did not have a light on it, and I had not immediately been able to identify this person as someone I knew, he would have been shot. When the police arrived moments later I was commended on my ability to refrain from shooting this person and I remember very clearly the officer checking out the TLR-1 and thinking that it was a nice light that probably saved this guys life. About a year later I submitted a "story" to Streamlight complete with pictures and a copy of the police report and they sent me a crap load of free stuff including a TLR-2.
    Great story!

As sobering as it is, I would like to present another story, thankfully not a personal one:

Old Forge, NY -- A Rochester man staying in a motel in Old Forge shot and killed his son early this morning thinking his son was an intruder, state police said today.

Michael Leach, 59, an officer with the Parry Police Department in Wyoming County, called 911 at 12:51 a.m. from the Clark Beach Motel to say that he just shot someone he thought was an intruder, troopers said.

Instead of an intruder, Leach shot and killed his son, Matthew S. Leach, 37, of 23 S. Heppler St., Rochester, troopers said.

Leach used his department-issued .45-caliber Glock handgun in the shooting, troopers said. He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, Utica, after the shooting for what troopers described as a "medical issue."

Troopers are continuing to investigate the shooting.
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...and_kills.html
    Might a WML have prevented this tragedy? Maybe so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234