Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actual LaRue Mount Issues? Newer stuff better?

Feedback Score
    I have (4) of the Larue mounts for the Micro Aimpoints, (4) for the Full size Aimpoints and (4) of the LT104 mounts for 30mm scopes. Also have a couple of the mounts for the ACOG. All the mounts are being used on Flat top AR's. They all return to zero when remove and reinstalled. I also see no wear on the uppers where the levers lock onto the upper receiver. Just purchased T2 with another LT660 mount. I have used their mounts in a number of training classes with Magppul, EAG, Larry Vickers, Matt Graham etc. Never had a problem with them hold a zero or returning to zero after being removed and reinstalled. I also have a couple of friends with the same mounts. Neither one have had any problems with the mounts returning to zero. They have had no signs of wear to the upper where the levers lock onto the receiver.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to have nothing but Larue mounts for my optics, other than marking up my receivers I hadn't had any problems, which I never really cared about since they are just tools anyways. But then I had one that no matter how tight you adjusted the mount, it would still have some up and down movement if you pushed and pulled side to side on it. Did this on 3 out of 6 uppers, one Noveske, one DD, and one VLTOR MUR; all companies with excellent reputations for being in spec. Tried a buddies ADM mount and didn't have any issues, add in that I didn't need a tool to adjust it, cost, and it didn't mark up my rails, and I made the move away from Larue mounts. When it works the Larue mounting system is rock solid, but the cons started outweighing the pros for me.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I have sold all my larue mounts and bought bobro.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one LT mounting a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5 attached to a Noveske (Vltor MUR) upper.
    I have one Bobro mounting a Zeiss 2-10 x 42 attached to a BCM upper.

I have had zero issues or complaints with either. I can see where the LT could create wear over time to the rail if one takes the mount off and on all the time.

I really cannot find a difference functionally between the two -- other than the Bobro is easier to install/remove.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I've had a bunch of LaRue mounts over the years, never had a problem with any of 'em.

I have an old original LT150 that's been on a beater/loaner/hog/ranch Colt 6920 for at least ten years and it's still working perfect.

I am very interested in the Midwest Industries mounts and will likely try one of those next as the mounting system looks like a step up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I just don't see how this is possible. The Bobro is under constant spring tension. If you manage to minutely compress those two springs, they will return as soon as you let go. So unless you deformed the metal...I don't understand? Have you verified this with live fire?
    Full on disclosure:

Bobro did fix my mount.

I had a single lever 30mm extended Bobro mount that would do something similar. I could never get a zero and was scratching my head until I noticed one day when I closed the butler creek cap on my scope that I felt some give. Further inspection showed I could push the mount back and forth maybe 0.025-0.035" on the rail regardless if the latch was closed or not.

I have ~ 18 years experince as a reliability tech/millwright. I am actually contracted to perform shaft alignments down to 0.001" on the multi-million dollar gas turbines GE makes, ensuring they run smooth and true. I have done this on the largest gas turbine in the world ever produced. Point being I have a pretty solid grasp on mechanical topics.

I called Andrew Bobro and initially I was pissed. I came very close to mailing the mount back for good out of principle. He was insistent that I either had out of spec rails or wasn't seeing what I actually saw. That none of his mounts ever failed in the manner I was describing. I ended up making several pics showing me taking measurements with calipers and videos of the actual movement on Colt, LMT AND KAC rails. I'll be honest that I was pissed feeling like I was having to prove the mount could fail, (in my case bad from the get go) against his position that it could not. After the video I was then able to get a RA #, sent it back and low and behold the spring that fits between the lugs on the rail was out of spec. I never heard back from him after we determined it was a bad mount, but the employee who I had my dealings with in getting the mount fixed was most helpful. It would have gone a long way if he had just said, look sorry I said that what you were describing was impossible, you were right.

I was put off by the experince. I know someone like Andrew has no idea who they are dealing with on the phone and probably have tons of dumb questions every day. That said, I feel the mfg should give the customer the benefit of the doubt especially when that customer informs you that they have a very technical background that would know exactly what they are seeing and have the proper tools to measure and tell you exactly how much the mount is moving. Don't sit there telling the customer such an issue is not possible and that they don't know exactly what they are seeing when they in fact do.

I still think Bobro makes a good product. I would say better than Larue from a mechanical sense. That said, if you want a QD attachment system built like a tank then GDI is your solution. Yes you will pay for it. They are in no way shape or form cheap, but they have a huge amount of contact surface area in the actual clamping parts. They do not mar rails and are user adjustable for out of spec rails.

The best part is you can go on AR15.com and say GDI 3 times like you would say Beetlejuice or ML over there and no one will come barging in on a discussion uninvited.

I am 110% certain you could go on an obscure discussion board about underwater sweater knitting and say Larue 3 times and he would magically appear like Beetlejuice to be posting calling you out.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 08-16-15 at 01:07.

Feedback Score
    Gads! I remember seeing this thread months ago, but I guess I’ve slept since then. I’ve just taken possession of a new LaRue LT104 mount. I chose it over Bobro cause it was cheaper. Have not mounted it yet, but now I’m nervous.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Full on disclosure:

Bobro did fix my mount.

I had a single lever 30mm extended Bobro mount that would do something similar. I could never get a zero and was scratching my head until I noticed one day when I closed the butler creek cap on my scope that I felt some give. Further inspection showed I could push the mount back and forth maybe 0.025-0.035" on the rail regardless if the latch was closed or not.

I have ~ 18 years experince as a reliability tech/millwright. I am actually contracted to perform shaft alignments down to 0.001" on the multi-million dollar gas turbines GE makes, ensuring they run smooth and true. I have done this on the largest gas turbine in the world ever produced. Point being I have a pretty solid grasp on mechanical topics.

I called Andrew Bobro and initially I was pissed. I came very close to mailing the mount back for good out of principle. He was insistent that I either had out of spec rails or wasn't seeing what I actually saw. That none of his mounts ever failed in the manner I was describing. I ended up making several pics showing me taking measurements with calipers and videos of the actual movement on Colt, LMT AND KAC rails. I'll be honest that I was pissed feeling like I was having to prove the mount could fail, (in my case bad from the get go) against his position that it could not. After the video I was then able to get a RA #, sent it back and low and behold the spring that fits between the lugs on the rail was out of spec. I never heard back from him after we determined it was a bad mount, but the employee who I had my dealings with in getting the mount fixed was most helpful. It would have gone a long way if he had just said, look sorry I said that what you were describing was impossible, you were right.

I was put off by the experince. I know someone like Andrew has no idea who they are dealing with on the phone and probably have tons of dumb questions every day. That said, I feel the mfg should give the customer the benefit of the doubt especially when that customer informs you that they have a very technical background that would know exactly what they are seeing and have the proper tools to measure and tell you exactly how much the mount is moving. Don't sit there telling the customer such an issue is not possible and that they don't know exactly what they are seeing when they in fact do.

I still think Bobro makes a good product. I would say better than Larue from a mechanical sense. That said, if you want a QD attachment system built like a tank then GDI is your solution. Yes you will pay for it. They are in no way shape or form cheap, but they have a huge amount of contact surface area in the actual clamping parts. They do not mar rails and are user adjustable for out of spec rails.

The best part is you can go on AR15.com and say GDI 3 times like you would say Beetlejuice or ML over there and no one will come barging in on a discussion uninvited.

I am 110% certain you could go on an obscure discussion board about underwater sweater knitting and say Larue 3 times and he would magically appear like Beetlejuice to be posting calling you out.
    GDI is expensive and I like my mounts to sit flat on my rail instead of lopsided so I don't have to dial in a ton of windage. Otherwise, GDI is a good idea.

I don't see how the spring BETWEEN THE LUGS would prevent the clamp from gripping the rail. Something else was wrong with your rail or mount, and considering your variance of rails used, I agree something was wrong with your Bobro mount. That is very odd and I don't know how it's possible, though, unless it was completely missing parts.

Feedback Score
    Sucks to hear about Bobro....I have ad mounts from Adm, larue,badger,seekins.....all my semis use bobro exclusively , and my bolts all use seekins or badgers....return to zero on the bobro on my long range guns have always been 0 to .2 mils if that...for the given budget...bobro all the way. I cant justify the cost for a GDI but wouldn't mind giving one a try in the future.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Worked on a project some years back and we had the opportunity to test the return to zero on 6 QD mounts, with 10 different rifles.

Results were as follows.

Average MOA shift from 10 rifles of same make.

1) Bobro .03
    2) Alamo .04
    3) GG&G .05 <=this was a pleasant surprise.
    4) GDI .05
    5) Larue .09
    6) ADM .15

We took a poll before we started just based on the principle of the mechanisms alone, 8 had GDI at the top of their list 2 had Bobro. It goes to show don't judge a book by its cover (or hype) either.

An article by Recoil in March (they tested 9 or 10) confirmed our findings. Larue wound up in the bottom half in their test as well.

However in reality a .02-.05 is not something to be overly worried about in real world applications. I would say ruggedness and weight would be a better concern.
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 08-24-15 at 12:31.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123