Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get DD Gas Block Taper Pin to Budge!!!!

Feedback Score

Angry Can't get DD Gas Block Taper Pin to Budge!!!!

I bought a BMC KMR and I want to install it on my Daniel Defense M4V7. It has a Low Profile Gas Block that is held in place by a Taper Pin (and Roll Pin). I have had a hell of a time trying to get that Taper Pin out. I can't get it to budge!

Any advice out there?

Thanks,
    Scout

Feedback Score
    Are you using the right tools and are you on something stable? Have you tried heat?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are you driving it in the right direction?

Pre-soak everything in Kano Kroil or Deep Creep.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    It is pretty obvious which side of the pin is small and which is big so I'm confident I'm driving it from the correct side. I spray WD40 on it and let it sit overnight. I even carved out a little channel/pocket in a piece of 2x4 to try and get myself a stable surface. I started out with a regular punch and it bent. Started reading a bit and saw they make concave punches... I don't have one of those but I did try a nail set to no avail. I haven't tried heat yet. I guess that will be my next attempt.

Thanks,
    Scout

Feedback Score
    I got it! Applied some heat, and then clamped it down a little better and then it came out (using a nail set and a big ass hammer).

Thanks for the help.

- Scout

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I advise you do not re-use that taper pin and get a replacement.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I advise you do not re-use that taper pin and get a replacement.
    Thanks for the advice. I actually have a fresh taper pin... but it is much longer than the taper pin I popped out of my DD M12 Low Profile Gas Block. Searching the DD site, Midway, and Google I've not found reference to anyone selling shorter taper pins.

Thoughts? Am I just not looking in the right spot for short pins? Should I cut this one down? If so do I keep the thicker or thinner side of the pin?

Thanks,
    Scout

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you were to cut it down in length I would measure the ends of each then decide which end would be closer to your old pin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tostado22 View Post
    If you were to cut it down in length I would measure the ends of each then decide which end would be closer to your old pin
    Ya, I've got a set of calipers so I can figure it out easily, I just thought someone might know as part of the answer as to why/how DD uses short Taper Pins and where the come from.

Feedback Score
    Success! BCM KMR13 installed!
    kmr1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast