Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication and the 1911

Feedback Score
    I got rid of my Froglube after it gummed up one of my 1911's (hard to pull the slide back). I've had good luck with Militec-1.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post

FWIW: & FYI:
    What I've used for the last 8+yrs is ZMAX, the reason why is because it is "Supposed to Soak into the metal" Interesting thing is, (well to me anyhow is)
    Must be the linkite.
    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    I got rid of my Froglube after it gummed up one of my 1911's (hard to pull the slide back). I've had good luck with Militec-1.
    I got rid of mine after my AR grew mold in the BCG.
    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
    I got rid of mine after my AR grew mold in the BCG.
    Dang, mold?
    I cleaned my Super yesterday. At least Froglube is easy to clean up. Most of the gum wiped off and I went back to my nasty, noxious cleaning chemicals.. In the garage. Reassembled with some of my old Enos Slide Glide on the rails and my old supply of Mobile 1. I also used some G96 in some tight places. It may be a while until I go as far as 1000 rounds again since I got my S&W 686 back from my gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    On all other firearms, I use Slip200 EWL. On my 1911, I have been using the Wilson Combat Ultimalube Oil to great effect. It has a surprising viscosity and does not burn off after high round counts.

Feedback Score
    Dollar-plus-per-ounce products are entirely unnecessary when there is synthetic motor oil and automatic transmission fluid available in vast quantities at much lower prices. Shoot more and think less about, spend less on, boutique lubes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
    Dollar-plus-per-ounce products are entirely unnecessary when there is synthetic motor oil and automatic transmission fluid available in vast quantities at much lower prices. Shoot more and think less about, spend less on, boutique lubes.
    BOOM /\ /\ what he said..

1 last thing/tid bit from me on this... IF I wasn't using my ZMAX I would be running my guns on the LUCAS engine oil additive, that stuff is So Super SLICK!

Also, STP engine additive is alittle thicker, okay ALOT thicker then engine oil, which just means you can get away with using small amounts.... and it will stay in place, not to mention it also is some SUPER SLICK stuff!

This will give away my age to some:
    How many here remember the STP engine oil treatment TV commercials, where they stuck the tip of a flat blade screw driver into the STP additive and then flipped the screw driver over vertical, trying
    to hold onto said screw driver with their finger tips? LOL NO one could ever hold the screw driver! Well LUCAS additive is like that.....

I think I would try 1 of those long before ATF and or regular engine oil..

Peace Jeff

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Lucas would be way too thick and snotty. That stuff is a PITA to clean up too.

I like Slip 2000 EWL because it doesn't smell, stain, and stays good in heat, cold, and long term storage.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of 1911s that have worked very reliably for maany thousands of rounds (2500+ rounds between stoppages) with simple cleaning every 250-300 rounds and oiling with any light machine oil I can get (Singer, any cheap gun oil, motor oil, etc.). No early wear in parts, no problems with finish, no sluggish operation, etc.

People worry too much about this

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Slip 2000 ewl here. Still working off of samples handed out at EAG classes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast