Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how many mags make it worth carrying AR-15 for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brettd1982 View Post
    If you're carrying your ar in your truck and you carry more than 2 30 round mags, what fire fight are you planning to get in where you need more than 30 rounds? Do you live in Compton?
    Since you went that direction, I'll now ask why you feel 60 rounds are needed. What fire fight are you planning to get in where you need 60 rounds?

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I think having way more than one feels one will ever need is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
    Since you went that direction, I'll now ask why you feel 60 rounds are needed. What fire fight are you planning to get in where you need 60 rounds?

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I think having way more than one feels one will ever need is the way to go.
    Really i dont really need 60. Im not in a war zone and having to use two mags worth is most likely never going to happen if i need more than. 30 rounds then i need to work on my marksmanship that and im about to make the national news for being in a huge gun fight.

But if i have a mag malfunction it would be nice to have a back up.

Feedback Score
    the main thing that determines how many extra AR mags I carry is the means of their transportation. If I can carry more comfortably....I will. When riding my rigid frame Harley to work I don't like to carry as many because its not as comfortable. my truck is on the other end of the spectrum.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For what it's worth, I feel that if you're in a position where you're reaching for a rifle in your truck, you're already into a dedicated shooting solution that a pistol couldn't handle. That means that ammunition is going to be a factor, which means to me that having a minimum of 3 rifle magazines at 28 or 30 rounds apiece (your preference) is beneficial. Then again, I'm of the mindset that if I'm unable to solve the majority of possible violent encounters with a pistol (which I should never have to get to if I anticipate and recognize possible threats) then I have much worse problems, which might require volume of fire to extricate myself from, or at least solve through creating more distance to put myself into a "safer" position from which to more permanently address what made me grab my rifle to begin with...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I usually have an AK in my vehicle because I spend a good amount of time in rural areas. I keep a couple 30 round mags with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep a 40 round in the gun, 6 mags in a chest rig, and I also have a range bag that has 2 tacos for my belt and 4 more mags. That's a total of 13 magazines. If I can stay with my vehicle they'll all come with me. If I have to hoof it, I can ditch some. You can always leave some if you don't need them.

Feedback Score
    I usually take a rifle when goin out of town. 1 mag is a must, I usually take 2 spares.

My personal opinion is that 1 spare mag is a must for any weapon carried due to possibility of a malfunction. I'd rather have 2 20rders Tha 1 40, but that's just me.

If going out of town for a week or more, I take a few more mags, just cause it makes me feel good.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-31-15 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry 13, 30 round mags. One in the gun, 4 on the front of the plate carrier, 8 on my belt, 4 each side plus I have 1,000 more rounds loaded in mags inside a USGI ammo can. If I get in trouble and get killed at least it won't be because I didn't have enough ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    F2S- pretty much hit the nail on the head. Don't forget shooters band aids. TQ(s), israili bandages, and some chest seals.

2-3 mags would be enough for me. If I had those ready on a plate carrier with some med gear and zip ties that would be a great active shooter kit.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For my purposes, 4 20 rounders which includes one in rifle.
    I personally don't like 30 rounders in case I have to get in an awkward shooting position and/or hug the wheel well.

If that won't do, I don't need more ammo....I need more friends/backup. IFAK and/or Ambu bag literally next to rifle.

Some people like to keep oodles of mags in their POV but if, god forbid, someone breaks into your stuff....you've kind of given them a free gun and a lot of free ammo.

I also personalize and number my magazines. Pmags are great but for "when it counts" or duty use; I prefer straight box GI 20 rounders.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast