Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: how many mags make it worth carrying AR-15 for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Hopefully LEO's will assess every situation first before making any premature judgements and actions, or worse shoot the good guy or an innocent civilian.
    I hope the same too. I'm going to stack the deck in my favor regardless though. And that includes looking as "good guy" as possible if I'm responding to a shooting in plain clothes.

I have a M92 AK pistol in my go-bag, and as a law-abiding citizen I sure hope I don't get shot by a LEO if I needed to defend myself with an AK. The reason I use an AK pistol is its compactness and legality for conceal carry (a 10" AR pistol is too long for my purposes).
    I get your reasoning and it makes sense. I own an AR pistol for the same reason re: legality. I'm not sure what your TTPs are regarding carrying the AK and go-bag on your person, but I would submit that if you have time to get to your car and get your "long gun" out, you have time to push two pins in and put a broken down AR pistol together. You can even keep a loaded magazine in the lower and assemble it that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    I hope the same too. I'm going to stack the deck in my favor regardless though. And that includes looking as "good guy" as possible if I'm responding to a shooting in plain clothes.

I get your reasoning and it makes sense. I own an AR pistol for the same reason re: legality. I'm not sure what your TTPs are regarding carrying the AK and go-bag on your person, but I would submit that if you have time to get to your car and get your "long gun" out, you have time to push two pins in and put a broken down AR pistol together. You can even keep a loaded magazine in the lower and assemble it that way.
    The reasoning and purpose for the AK pistol in a compact bag is for mobility and a little more firepower. Situation-wise, it would be used in a manner if I had to trek it on foot in case of a vehicle breakdown, or be stranded due to increment weather e.g. Atlanta when it got snowed. It will mostly be rural setting since I live just outside the city, and in the future I plan to live in more remote areas.

I prefer to keep a weapon fully assembled and ready to go; when seconds may count, snapping together an AR upper/lower can be critical. I thought of using a 7.5" AR pistol instead of a 10.5, but it is ballistically insufficient IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love the AR platform, but for this particular purpose of mobility and concealability I chose an AK pistol. Now in a different situation e.g. Home defense, I use a 16" carbine with a sling and light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I travel with either my Pistol or SBR I usually have a single 20 round magazine in it. Not planning on going to war and the 20 rounder makes it a wee bit smaller.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    When I travel with either my Pistol or SBR I usually have a single 20 round magazine in it. Not planning on going to war and the 20 rounder makes it a wee bit smaller.
    Do you travel in a smart car?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't plan on getting a flat, but I carry a spare, jack, tool box, jumper cables...you see were I'm going with this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don't plan on getting a flat, but I carry a spare, jack, tool box, jumper cables...you see were I'm going with this.
    I call road service!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Also where I was going with mine. I have a hard time understanding the frame of mind that says, "I need a gun, but I don't need anything more than a gun." If you can/need to carry a gun - especially an AR which feeds on relatively small and lightweight ammunition - what is to prevent you from carrying supplements to that gun? And if nothing outside of yourself prevents it, why prevent it yourself?

I don't mean to sound deign, I just cannot understand it. Perhaps someone can help make it apparent to me.

I call road service!
    Lol touché
    Last edited by MM OneSix; 05-25-15 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MM OneSix View Post
    Also where I was going with mine as well. I have a hard time understanding the frame of mind that says, "I need a gun, but I don't need anything more than a gun." If you can/need to carry a gun - especially an AR which feeds on relatively small and lightweight ammunition - what is to prevent you from carrying supplements to that gun? And if nothing outside of yourself prevents it, why prevent it yourself?

I don't mean to sound deign, I just cannot understand it. Perhaps someone can help make it apparent to me.
    Perhaps I can help.

- Where I live, I am extremely unlikely to need even a pistol, let alone an SBR with multiple reloads.
    - When I travel on business I am typically in higher risk environments and I can't carry.
    - When home, I stay close to home and avoid taking unnecessary risks, when possible.
    - My wife already thinks I'm a nut case, it keeps her more composed. She grew up in the city, not exposed to firearms and is afraid of them. (Not an anti, just scared.) She has shot before and enjoys it.
    - I could roll with 10-20 thirty round mags, ceramic L4 plates, pistol etc.....I don't.
    - Everything is about risk. I've evaluated the risk and equip accordingly.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-25-15 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Perhaps I can help.

- Where I live, I am extremely unlikely to need even a pistol, let alone an SBR with multiple reloads.
    - When I travel on business I am typically in higher risk environments and I can't carry.
    - When home, I stay close to home and avoid taking unnecessary risks, when possible.
    - My wife already thinks I'm a nut case, it keeps her more composed. She grew up in the city, not exposed to firearms and is afraid of them. (Not an anti, just scared.) She has shot before and enjoys it.
    - I could roll with 10-20 thirty round mags, ceramic L4 plates, pistol etc.....I don't.
    - Everything is about risk. I've evaluated the risk and equip accordingly.
    Thanks.

I suppose it's all about context and risk management. Following on to your response, how do you carry your SBR? If it's in a case, is there not room for a few other mags? I realize it begs the question as to what is enough and what is too much and that the line will always be moving, so I'm not trying to go there. Just genuinely curious to hear more about your frame of mind and thought process.
    Last edited by MM OneSix; 05-25-15 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MM OneSix View Post
    Thanks.

I suppose it's all about context and risk management. Following on to your response, how do you carry your SBR? If it's in a case, is there not room for a few other mags? I realize it begs the question as to what is enough and what is too much and that the line will always be moving, so I'm not trying to go there. Just genuinely curious to hear more about your frame of mind and thought process.
    No, not in a case, it is sitting sitting muzzle down, on the passenger side of the vehicle, so I can easily get to the grip if required. When I carry it in a case there are usually always extra loaded magazines. It is great to have these discussions, as there is always something I can learn from someone with a different perspective / situation.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast