Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a DA/SA pistol

Feedback Score

Using a DA/SA pistol

I'm new to the world of using DA/SA guns, I've only ever used SAO or striker fired handguns. I have to stress that I have zero experience in using DA/SA guns; I just recently picked up a P-07, and was considering giving it's DA feature a go. So please forgive me if the question sounds stupid.

I realize that DA to SA transitions require practice. Here's my question. You train to draw the gun, fire in DA, then go to SA. Simple enough. But I assume that the gun isn't decocked every single time there's a pause; it is only decocked when the gun is returned to the holster (please correct me if I'm wrong). So let's say that the gun is in SA, and you have to engage again. If one's muscle memory is tuned to a DA first shot, then wouldn't a shot in SA throw one's aim off? Such as expecting a heavy trigger pull, but it's light and short instead? Is this an issue anyone has run into before?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    After the first shot you release to reset and keep on working. Also after you fire you are working single action only so to speak do you don't have to worry about the double action. It's hard to put in words but you will learn through practice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Never had an issue. You'll see that it isn't a big deal when you start shooting.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that, assuming the situation allows, you can learn to thumb the hammer back as you draw, then fire straight single action.

Feedback Score
    Why would you do that?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I value the versatility, I own and shoot all sorts of different types of pistols and I find them all more than capable when I am. I've never understood the mentality that you have to use only one style and stick to it. Bearing in mind that I'm not trying to be a National Champion pistol shooter. However, I suspect those guys are pretty versatile as well.

Try one, you just might like it better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is why striker fire is better. Less to think about when the mind is in stress.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    This is why striker fire is better. Less to think about when the mind is in stress.
    I don't know if I would say better, or less to think about when the mind is stressed. Sure, you don't have to make the small distinction between DA and SA, but how about when you have a light primer strike or something, and in the heat of things when your mind is stressed you now have to change gears and rack the slide and chamber another round versus having a DA action pistol and simply pulling the trigger again.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    That assumes someone actually "thinks" about the trigger pull when under stress. You don't.

After all, it isn't that flipping complicated.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 04-02-15 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoonick View Post
    I don't know if I would say better, or less to think about when the mind is stressed. Sure, you don't have to make the small distinction between DA and SA, but how about when you have a light primer strike or something, and in the heat of things when your mind is stressed you now have to change gears and rack the slide and chamber another round versus having a DA action pistol and simply pulling the trigger again.
    Perhaps I am just missing something, but I have never heard of "simply pulling the trigger again." Unless I'm just way off the mark here, how would you know if you had a light primer strike without looking at the primer. The other scenario in this situation might be a bad round, or failure to even chamber a round. In all my pistol training, I've been trained to perform immediate action (i.e. "tap, rack, bang/squeeze/fire/etc."). In a gunfight you don't want to risk your life on what may be operator failure.

OP, as for DA/SA transitions, my first real pistol training was with Beretta M9s. It's a concept that comes easy for some and hard for others. The more you train with it, the more you'll get used to it. My advice: perfect practice makes perfect.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast