Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any comments on Ruger AR 556?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Not defending the Ruger, but upper and lower being take tight isn't necessarily uncommon. I have had several rifles I have put together, or handled, that due to tolerance stacking were tight to get open until they had broken in.

That said, the Colt would be the rifle I would have been leaning to so it worked out better in my opinion if that is the rifle he is going with.
    I've had a similar experience with my Daniel Defense v3. It started so tight that I needed a punch to push it out, and even to this day the rear pin is much tighter than my Colt 6720 (which I bought over 2 years later).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've shot mine quite a bit and am generally pleased with it.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried to install a Troy VTAC drop-in rail to replace the factory plastic handguards but found the QD sling swivel stud on the bottom of the gas block was in the way. I pulled the barrel and sent it to Marvin Pitts for some quick machine work. Now the QD sling swivel socket is gone and the Troy rail fits fine.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The one thing I noticed on the AR-556 that made me cringe was an unshrouded firing pin.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    One of our guys at work has one and was showing it off. I pulled the BCG out of the gun and was looking at the staking of the carrier key. Basically it wasn't staked at all. There was slight dents on the side of the carrier key, but it wasn't enough to come close to touching metal to the bolts. More of a decorative staking job. And the profile of the barrel made for a heavy gun.

Yes they are cheap. But so are a lot of other AR's out there right now. For the current price of a Colt 6920 OEM-1, I'd rather save up a few more dollars and go with something different.

But if you are trying to compete with the S&W Sport, then it might be a viable option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by railpig314 View Post
    Hey,
    I just looked at one of the rifles today. I was not impressed at all. The rifle was so tight that a plastic punch needed to be used to push out the rear pivot pin.
    I really did not like the CNC'ed FSB. It just seemed kind of cheap looking. The staking on the carrier key did not look good either. The guy I was with is now going to buy a Colt. I showed him the difference side by side. Colt was hands down the winner!
    I was unaware that tight tolerances was a deal breaker when purchasing a rifle............

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    One of our guys at work has one and was showing it off. I pulled the BCG out of the gun and was looking at the staking of the carrier key. Basically it wasn't staked at all. There was slight dents on the side of the carrier key, but it wasn't enough to come close to touching metal to the bolts. More of a decorative staking job. And the profile of the barrel made for a heavy gun.

Yes they are cheap. But so are a lot of other AR's out there right now. For the current price of a Colt 6920 OEM-1, I'd rather save up a few more dollars and go with something different.

But if you are trying to compete with the S&W Sport, then it might be a viable option.
    My carrier is adequately staked but that's an easy enough fix. But I agree about the barrel profile. Heavy AR's are out and Ruger would have made me much happier by using a lighter profile. I also think they really could have separated this gun from other entry model rifles by using a midlength gas system.

A few "wish theys" aside the gun runs well and shoots as good as anything else I have that's topped with iron sights.

Feedback Score
    The one thing I noticed on the AR-556 that made me cringe was an unshrouded firing pin.
    Why is this cringe-worthy?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Why is this cringe-worthy?
    Because it's sole reason for existence is to please lawyers when it doesn't even matter anymore. Not sure how much it makes a real world difference for a plinking rifle though.

My friend was going to buy one for like $700 but wound up with a M&P Sport instead for $600. I was really trying to get him to get the Colt OEM1 from Grant for $725.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any one have a flash suppressor off of one for sale?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast