Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 16” N4 Light Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 16” N4 Light Barrel

Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 16” N4 Light Barrel

I’ve posted short reviews of Noveske N4 Light barrels in the past, so for this article we’re going to take a more in-depth look at the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel. For starters, Noveske’s nomenclature of “Light” for this barrel is somewhat misleading/confusing. When most shooters hear the term “light- weight” in regard to AR-15 barrels, they think of the “pencil” barrel profile of the original Colt M16/M16A1 and also the same light-weight profile of the Colt 16” carbine barrel found on the Colt 6520 and 6720. However, this is not the profile of the Noveske N4 Light barrel.

Colt M16/M16A1 barrel . . .

Colt 6520 16” light-weight barrel . . .

The stripped-weight (no flash hider, no front sight base/gas block, just the barrel and barrel extension) of the Colt 16” light-weight barrel is 1 pound, 6 ounces. The stripped-weight of the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is 1 pound, 12 ounces; which is the same stripped-weight of the Colt 16” government profile barrel found on the ubiquitous Colt 6920.

Colt 6920 government profile barrel . . .

Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel . . .

As you can see in the pics above, for the N4 Light barrel, Noveske has done away with the next-to-useless M203 (grenade launcher) cut-out found on the Colt government profile barrel. The N4 profile also has a more evenly distributed barrel diameter (and thus weight) fore and aft of the gas block journal, which moves the center of gravity of the barrel farther aft compared to a government profile barrel. This all makes for a superbly handling 16” barrel.

The reason that Noveske uses the “Light” nomenclature for their N4 barrels is simply because the N4 barrels are lighter than Noveske’s original medium contour stainless steel barrels. For comparison, the Noveske 16” medium contour Recon barrel has a stripped-weight of 2 pounds, 2 ounces and as mentioned above, the 16” N4 Light barrel has a stripped-weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces.

The Noveske 16” Recon barrel . . .

The Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is a cold hammer forged barrel. It has a mid-length gas system, “M4” feed-ramps and a chrome-lined chamber and bore. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist and has been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested; as the barrel stamp indicates. Contrary to erroneous Internet reports, the N4 barrel does not have polygonal rifling.

The barrel stamp . . .

The mid-length gas system . . .

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel used in this evaluation was free-floated during testing using a Larue Tactical free-float railed handguard. The free-float handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.29”
    1.18”
    1.31”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.26”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five,10-shot groups in a row for a total of eight, 10-shot groups fired in a row. The average extreme spread for all eight of the 10-shot groups was 1.24”. I over-layed all eight of the 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 80-shot composite group was 0.39”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 80-shot composite group . . .

…..
    Last edited by Molon; 04-09-15 at 20:09.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    That is a beautiful barrel. And .42" better than the BCM.

What do you think made it shoot a little better than the BCM?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice shooting Molon. I have the Noveske Recon and while I love it, I'm not seeing sweet groups like that yet - although I'm sure I will once it's been broken-in and I find what works best for that barrel.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like I'm raining on your parade, and I apologize if I came across that way. I really enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from you. Please keep up the good work!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another great thread, I Always enjoy your info Molon. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    That is a beautiful barrel. And .42" better than the BCM.

What do you think made it shoot a little better than the BCM?
    Don't BCM and Noveske both source their barrels from FN albeit with different specs?(speculation since BCM never publicly disclosed where their barrels come from)

If this is true then they should be close in performance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Don't BCM and Noveske both source their barrels from FN albeit with different specs?(speculation since BCM never publicly disclosed where their barrels come from)

If this is true then they should be close in performance.
    Unless something has changed, Pac Nor makes Noveske's barrel blanks then they are finished in house (at Noveske).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Unless something has changed, Pac Nor makes Noveske's barrel blanks then they are finished in house (at Noveske).
    Pac Nor doesn't make hammer forged barrels.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Pac Nor doesn't make hammer forged barrels.
    You're right. FN makes their hammer forged barrels.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    There's an interview with John from several years ago that says the stainless barrels start as pac nor blanks. As for the hammer forged models, there are only a few manufacturers in the USA with the setup to run those.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Molon, how much do you think barrel harmonics play a role versus the quality, condition, and geometry of the rifling?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast