Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Hammer Forged vs Non Cold Hammer Forged - What's Best For Me?

Feedback Score

Cold Hammer Forged vs Non Cold Hammer Forged - What's Best For Me?

Good day my fellow forum member's. I hope everyone is enjoying their week!.

I come to you with a question on my current AR15 carbine build. The purpose of my current build is to produce a lightweight carbine with a free float rail system. For that, I've decided to go with the Daniel Defense 15 inch Slim keymod free float rail and a Bravo Company USA 16 inch lightweight barrel.

I'm trying decide if I really need to spend the extra money for the cold hammer forged barrel, the barrel that I'm considering going with is not cold hammer forged, but it does feature the following specifications: 1/7 twist, M4 feed ramps, Mil-Spec MIL-B-11595E CMV steel, chrome bore and chamber, 5.56mm NATO chamber, HPT/MP inspected barrel, mid length, fluted.

The cold hammer forged barrel has the same features, except it is a heavier barrel and not fluted. I'm trying to keep the weight down, as much as possible.

My understanding is that the benefit of a cold hammer forged barrel, is that the barrels life is increased. Non chrome hammer forged barrels are suppose to be more accurate.

Let's assume that the Bravo Company USA non cold hammer forged barrel with the features listed above, only last, let's say 75,000 rounds (I don't know how long a non cold hammer forged barrel from Bravo Company USA would last, so info would be great), I would never wear out that barrel and even if I did, we are talking about an AR15 here, the barrel can be easily replaced. I'm thinking that the non cold hammer forged barrel with the lighter weight and the features listed above is what's best for me, but I would like to here any info that you might suggest.

Fluted non cold hammer forged barrel weight: 1Lb 1oz.

Cold hammer forged non fluted barrel weight: 1Lb 7oz.

Thanks
    Last edited by ContractSoldier; 06-15-16 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly, if weight is a factor, I'd go with the NON CHF barrel. 6oz at the muzzle is a noticable. The difference in barrel longevity has many other factors involved other than whether it is CHF or not such as, but not limited too, type of ammo, speed at which ammo is shot (magdumping for example) and how well it's maintained. As the barrel is fluted, I would strongly urge you to not magdump constantly with it (not that I advocate magdumping to begin with, well, except on occasion for sh!ts and gigles...).

If weight wasn't a factor, I'd vote CHF for the extra 'warm fuzzy feeling'.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not sure if there is any difference in barrel life due to the chrome.

Seem to recall reading CHF barrels having better concentricity (a potential plus with muzzle devices) and alleged greater burst resistance with water, etc. in the bore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Honestly, if weight is a factor, I'd go with the NON CHF barrel. 6oz at the muzzle is a noticable. The difference in barrel longevity has many other factors involved other than whether it is CHF or not such as, but not limited too, type of ammo, speed at which ammo is shot (magdumping for example) and how well it's maintained. As the barrel is fluted, I would strongly urge you to not magdump constantly with it (not that I advocate magdumping to begin with, well, except on occasion for sh!ts and gigles...).

If weight wasn't a factor, I'd vote CHF for the extra 'warm fuzzy feeling'.
    Thanks for the info. May I ask why it isn't a good idea to mag dump on a fluted barrel?

I could go with the non fluted barrel which is only 5 ounces more in weight, and is still 6 ounces lighter than a standard M4 barrel.
    Last edited by ContractSoldier; 06-15-16 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ContractSoldier View Post
    Thanks for the info. May I ask why it isn't a good idea to mag dump on a fluted barrel?

I could go with the non fluted barrel which is only 5 ounces more in weight, and is still 6 ounces lighter than a standard M4 barrel.
    A skinnier barrel will heat up quicker and not be able to sustain as much heat for as long as a thicker barrel, which is what the flites are supposed to help with (adding rigidity along with extra surface area to vent heat). The problem is the debate about whether they are able to handle as much heat as a barrel of the same outer/non-fluted diameter or the inner/fluted diameter as well as whether heat can cause barrel expansion/warp in weird/unexpected ways. I prefer to stay on the side of caution and treat it as a barrel of it's inner/fluted diameter and not have to be the guinea pig for that particular barrel unless I have to be. Plus, mag dumping with any barrel is just not health for the barrel to begin with (though, again, occasionally quite pleasing).

Also, CHF barrels need a good stress relieve to make it a good barrel that won't warp under heat no matter the profile so buy from a reputable company.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha. Sound like I might be better off to stay on the side of caution as well and go with the non fluted barrel which is cheaper in price and is still 6 ounces light than a standard barrel.

Feedback Score
    One more question, could I use a Daniel Defense 12 inch Slim Keymod rail with a 16 inch mid length barrel with the gas block not being exposed?

In other words, the 12 inch rail would extend past the gas block so that It's not exposed and remains inside the rail. I would much rather go with the 12 inch rail, instead of the 15 inch and it will save weight.
    Last edited by ContractSoldier; 06-15-16 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A rail only needs to be 10" to cover a midlength system with a low profile gas block.

Quote Originally Posted by ContractSoldier View Post
    One more question, could I use a Daniel Defense 12 inch Slim Keymod rail with a 16 inch mid length barrel with the gas block not being exposed?

In other words, the 12 inch rail would extend past the gas block so that It's not exposed and remains inside the rail. I would much rather go with the 12 inch rail, instead of the 15 inch and it will save weight.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My wife's mid length rifle has a BCM 16" ELW barrel with a 10" KMR and it completely covers the gas block. She's only 5ft tall with short arms and this setup is much more comfortable for her. To be honest with you I actually prefer shooting her rifle over any of mine. It's incredibly light and since there's no rail forward of the gas block it feels perfectly balanced to me. I fell into the whole longer rails so I can hold my support hand closer to the muzzle way of thinking. Now after shooting her rifle so well I'm wanting a 10" KMR or maybe the new DD MLOK 10" on one of my rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    My wife's mid length rifle has a BCM 16" ELW barrel with a 10" KMR and it completely covers the gas block. She's only 5ft tall with short arms and this setup is much more comfortable for her. To be honest with you I actually prefer shooting her rifle over any of mine. It's incredibly light and since there's no rail forward of the gas block it feels perfectly balanced to me. I fell into the whole longer rails so I can hold my support hand closer to the muzzle way of thinking. Now after shooting her rifle so well I'm wanting a 10" KMR or maybe the new DD MLOK 10" on one of my rifles.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, that whole practice of holding the support hand way up by the muzzle is a bunch of crap.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast